News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2022, 04:10:32 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2022, 11:25:43 AMI liked the rest of the show, but that weak effort to tie the prequel to the original was dumb and unnecessary

Martin usually doesn't do foreshadowing without a plannedpayoff, so I wonder what the payoff will be for this scene.  I hope it's not just supposed to be motivation for the daughter character... though her justifying horrific actions based on this prophecy might be all right.  The secrecy still sounds dumb, though.

Fixed.

Winds of winter :cry:
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

House of the Dragon predictably renewed for a second season after the blowout premier of episode 1.

I'm tempted to start digging through the various chats and postings everywhere that I told people that the fans would flock back to it, but I'm feeling smug enough already.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

People argued with you that they wouldn't? I mean fans are dumb. Look at Star Wars and all the people coming back to be disappointed time after time. It helps that (so far) the new show is good.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on August 26, 2022, 10:16:59 AMHouse of the Dragon predictably renewed for a second season after the blowout premier of episode 1.

I'm tempted to start digging through the various chats and postings everywhere that I told people that the fans would flock back to it, but I'm feeling smug enough already.

They also splashed it out. I logged into my Roku and it told me I just need to push play button to have it start - didn't even need to navigate to the app. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

That's awesome. Definitely a great media strategy on their part that I wish a few other companies would figure out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2022, 10:22:31 AMPeople argued with you that they wouldn't? I mean fans are dumb. Look at Star Wars and all the people coming back to be disappointed time after time. It helps that (so far) the new show is good.

But in this case the fans would be dumb not to come back based on the fact that Martin is fully involved this time.

The Larch

crazy canuck

It's not great, the premise on how she gets turned into a Hulk is a bit silly.  And its just hard to watch more Marvel.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 26, 2022, 12:23:15 PMAnybody seen She-Hulk?

Yes, not much of a fan. They are aiming for a Fleabag-ish comedy vibe to it but so far the writing just isn't good enough. It comes across more silly than clever.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Larch on August 26, 2022, 12:23:15 PMAnybody seen She-Hulk?
Was lame.  The snark is kind of like Marvel flanderization. 

Not compelling, and not a great protagonist. Ms Marvel was good. Watch that instead.

Season premier of Archer was good.
PDH!

Duque de Bragança

Razgovory

Liked this episode of House of the Dragon better than the first.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: The Larch on August 22, 2022, 04:30:22 PMI was going to post the same article.  :lol:

I wonder if Chinese censors really think that these cheap add-ons are effective.

I've come to believe that the exercise of power in this kind of situation is less about effectively "protecting" people from whatever, but about exercising power in and of itself.

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2022, 10:47:34 PMLiked this episode of House of the Dragon better than the first.

I liked it too, it doesn't beat around the bush at all.

Habbaku

Excellent episode. People talking around fancy tables about political intrigue is what I crave.

-J. R. R. Tolkien