And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on August 23, 2022, 05:59:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 22, 2022, 08:57:48 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2022, 09:20:16 PMI've never understood the magic of casting, but it is clear that the GoT shows have it, and the Wheel of Time shows do not.

Yeah just watched the first episode and everybody is just so convincing. I think the writing helps, too. It's still a cut (or two or three) above Wheel of Time and The Witcher. All in all, GoT remains the only medieval fantasy show that doesn't make me think "actors in costumes" and so far House of the Dragons succeeds in this, too.

I'm just offended they're not using real albinos Targaryens.

Fixed that for you.  Targaryens are not albinos.  They even note that Bloodraven is an albino and thus different.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

I'm not sure I agree with you folks about House of the Dragon (yes, I watched it even though I said I wouldn't  :pirate ).

The bit at the end with Viserys and Raenyra was absolutely ridiculous, where he informs her of the "secret". Especially knowing how this supposedly world-ending threat was resolved by a random northern girl after a 2 hour battle.

Also not sure I've got the stomach for pedo and incest story lines, AGAIN. I haven't read the book this is based on, but the Hand's daughter does not look an adult, and the Daemon-Raenyra scenes strongly hinted at another uncle-niece hook up. Bleh.

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on August 23, 2022, 10:28:42 AMI'm not sure I agree with you folks about House of the Dragon (yes, I watched it even though I said I wouldn't  :pirate ).

The bit at the end with Viserys and Raenyra was absolutely ridiculous, where he informs her of the "secret". Especially knowing how this supposedly world-ending threat was resolved by a random northern girl after a 2 hour battle.

Also not sure I've got the stomach for pedo and incest story lines, AGAIN. I haven't read the book this is based on, but the Hand's daughter does not look an adult, and the Daemon-Raenyra scenes strongly hinted at another uncle-niece hook up. Bleh.

At least it gives you something new to bitch and moan about.  I was getting tired of your repetitive bitching and moaning, so I welcome the change.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

The great secret thing is dumb, and I don't recall if it's in the original written version. The world will end at some future point so we must all band together. To ensure this happens well make sure only two people know about it at any given time.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2022, 10:45:57 AMThe great secret thing is dumb, and I don't recall if it's in the original written version. The world will end at some future point so we must all band together. To ensure this happens well make sure only two people know about it at any given time.

Yeah that was the thing I didn't recall and didn't know why it needed to be included.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

So far there's nobody as fun Tyrion Lannister.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 23, 2022, 11:06:47 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2022, 10:45:57 AMThe great secret thing is dumb, and I don't recall if it's in the original written version. The world will end at some future point so we must all band together. To ensure this happens well make sure only two people know about it at any given time.

Yeah that was the thing I didn't recall and didn't know why it needed to be included.

"The whole point of the Doomsday Machine is lost if you keep it a secret!"

Bayraktar!

HVC

I liked the rest of the show, but that weak effort to tie the prequel to the original was dumb and unnecessary
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2022, 11:25:43 AMI liked the rest of the show, but that weak effort to tie the prequel to the original was dumb and unnecessary

Martin usually doesn't do foreshadowing without a payoff, so I wonder what the payoff will be for this scene.  I hope it's not just supposed to be motivation for the daughter character... though her justifying horrific actions based on this prophecy might be all right.  The secrecy still sounds dumb, though.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2022, 04:10:32 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 23, 2022, 11:25:43 AMI liked the rest of the show, but that weak effort to tie the prequel to the original was dumb and unnecessary

Martin usually doesn't do foreshadowing without a payoff, so I wonder what the payoff will be for this scene.  I hope it's not just supposed to be motivation for the daughter character... though her justifying horrific actions based on this prophecy might be all right.  The secrecy still sounds dumb, though.

I was thinking along the same lines. I doubt Martin is trying to tie in whatever that mess was in the original series at the end. If anything he is probably trying to distance the show from what happened previously.  I am looking forward to seeing what the foreshadowing is hinting at.

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2022, 09:28:03 AM
Quote from: Josephus on August 23, 2022, 05:59:04 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 22, 2022, 08:57:48 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2022, 09:20:16 PMI've never understood the magic of casting, but it is clear that the GoT shows have it, and the Wheel of Time shows do not.

Yeah just watched the first episode and everybody is just so convincing. I think the writing helps, too. It's still a cut (or two or three) above Wheel of Time and The Witcher. All in all, GoT remains the only medieval fantasy show that doesn't make me think "actors in costumes" and so far House of the Dragons succeeds in this, too.

I'm just offended they're not using real albinos Targaryens.

Fixed that for you.  Targaryens are not albinos.  They even note that Bloodraven is an albino and thus different.

:blush:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Anyone seen See? Is it any good?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 23, 2022, 07:31:31 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 23, 2022, 04:10:32 PMMartin usually doesn't do foreshadowing without a payoff, so I wonder what the payoff will be for this scene.  I hope it's not just supposed to be motivation for the daughter character... though her justifying horrific actions based on this prophecy might be all right.  The secrecy still sounds dumb, though.

I was thinking along the same lines. I doubt Martin is trying to tie in whatever that mess was in the original series at the end. If anything he is probably trying to distance the show from what happened previously.  I am looking forward to seeing what the foreshadowing is hinting at.

Yeah, we have to keep in mind that the whole Night King as the Big Baddie thing is not in the books.  Something else is driving the White Walkers in the books (likely something that B&B thought too complex for a TV show).

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Quote from: Josephus on August 24, 2022, 09:43:20 AMAnyone seen See? Is it any good?

Good production, nice scenery, absolutely silly premise. Once you start thinking about the sillyness of everything it goes south fast.

Sheilbh

Nope.

Very difficult to say anything without spoiling it. Go to the cinema because the sound design is incredible and really adds a lot to the film.

I think it's incredible. For me, it's Peele's best film. It's the most excited I've been watching a film in ages - I think because it's difficult to say anything without spoiling it so I knew basically nothing going in. But also it was just great watching a really good sort of action film but not a franchise with a really recognisable story structure. It felt like the type of film I've not seen in a long time.

I loved it. Saw a review that it was a bit Lynch and Spielberg combined - and I think that's right.
Let's bomb Russia!