News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I guess I'll watch it.  I don't have anything else to do.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2022, 05:37:25 PMBtw, great interview with Martin in the NYT.

Paywalled.  Any money quotes?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I've never understood the magic of casting, but it is clear that the GoT shows have it, and the Wheel of Time shows do not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2022, 09:20:10 PMI can gift the article
I thought it was a good first episode setting the scene.

Thanks.  Much appreciate it.

Bayraktar!

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2022, 09:20:16 PMI've never understood the magic of casting, but it is clear that the GoT shows have it, and the Wheel of Time shows do not.

Yeah just watched the first episode and everybody is just so convincing. I think the writing helps, too. It's still a cut (or two or three) above Wheel of Time and The Witcher. All in all, GoT remains the only medieval fantasy show that doesn't make me think "actors in costumes" and so far House of the Dragons succeeds in this, too.

crazy canuck

After watching Matt Smith as the Doctor, I had my doubts that he would play a convincing tough guy/villian, but boy did he nail it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 22, 2022, 09:05:29 AMAfter watching Matt Smith as the Doctor, I had my doubts that he would play a convincing tough guy/villian, but boy did he nail it.
Really enjoyed him in Last Night in Soho too (which I liked a lot - but had mixed reviews).
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

He was good in the crown too. Good first episode.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

QuoteChinese censors alter ending of Minions: The Rise of Gru film
Viewers mock addendum explaining Gru's family values and arrest of thief Wild Knuckles
Reuters in Shanghai
Mon 22 Aug 2022 14.34 BST

Censors in China have changed the ending of the animated film Minions: The Rise of Gru for its domestic release, according to viewers in the country, in yet another example of China altering a popular Hollywood film.

According to posts and screenshots of the film, shared on Weibo, a platform similar to Twitter, there is an addendum by censors showing that Wild Knuckles, a main character in the heist film, was caught by police and served 20 years in jail.

It also states Gru, a co-conspirator of Wild Knuckles, "returned to his family" and "his biggest accomplishment is being the father to his three girls".

In the international version, the film ends with Gru and Wild Knuckles riding off together after the latter faked his own death to evade capture.

Numerous online commentators mocked the edits, saying they resembled a PowerPoint presentation.

DuSir, a film review publisher with 14.4 million followers on Weibo, noted that the Chinese version ran one minute longer than the international one, and questioned why the extra time was needed.

"It's only us who need special guidance and care for fear that a cartoon will 'corrupt' us," DuSir wrote.

Huaxia Film Distribution and China Film Co, the film's distributors in China, did not respond to a request for comment.

China has placed a limit on the number of overseas films that can be shown in domestic cinemas. Many Hollywood films that screen in the country have certain scenes omitted or altered.

This year, Chinese viewers of the 1999 film Fight Club noticed that the original ending, in which the protagonist and his alter ego blow up some skyscrapers, was not in the version shown on the domestic streaming site Tencent Video.

Instead, an on-screen script said police "rapidly figured out the whole plan and arrested all criminals, successfully preventing the bomb from exploding".

The changes were widely mocked and even elicited responses from the film's director and the author of the novel on which it was based. Tencent later restored the original ending.

:lol: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

I was going to post the same article.  :lol:

I wonder if Chinese censors really think that these cheap add-ons are effective.

HVC

These stories always remind me of the friends episode where Phoebe realizes her mom changed all the sad ending in kids movies to happy endings.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 22, 2022, 04:38:03 PMThese stories always remind me of the friends episode where Phoebe realizes her mom changed all the sad ending in kids movies to happy endings.
Or from David Mack:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 22, 2022, 04:30:22 PMI was going to post the same article.  :lol:

I wonder if Chinese censors really think that these cheap add-ons are effective.

On the China thread I talked how I got the same thing to happen in one of my shows. They made us put a caption at the end making it clear all the bad guys had been caught and sent to prison (one of them fools the cops and escapes in the original version).

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on August 22, 2022, 08:57:48 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2022, 09:20:16 PMI've never understood the magic of casting, but it is clear that the GoT shows have it, and the Wheel of Time shows do not.

Yeah just watched the first episode and everybody is just so convincing. I think the writing helps, too. It's still a cut (or two or three) above Wheel of Time and The Witcher. All in all, GoT remains the only medieval fantasy show that doesn't make me think "actors in costumes" and so far House of the Dragons succeeds in this, too.

I'm just offended they're not using real albinos.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011