News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Ozark. The writers are assholes.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Started watching season 2 of Russian Doll. Enjoying it so far.

We still don't have spoiler tags, do we?

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on May 03, 2022, 02:12:36 AMStarted watching season 2 of Russian Doll. Enjoying it so far.

We still don't have spoiler tags, do we?

You can use invisible ink.

Spoiler: Obi-Wan has the high ground
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 03, 2022, 12:36:06 AMOzark. The writers are assholes.  <_<

shut up. Still on ep. 4

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

frunk

Quote from: The Brain on May 03, 2022, 02:15:51 AMYou can use invisible ink.

Spoiler: Obi-Wan has the high ground

Yeah, I used that for my Russian Doll spoilery comments.

Grey Fox

Russian Doll season 2, it was ok. I wasn't high enough for any of it tho. It's trippy bullshit. Half as good as season 1.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

An interesting debate for the new streaming era:

QuoteItaly to Widen Theatrical Window Following Box Office Debacle

Italy's Culture Minister Enrico Franceschini has announced plans to widen the window between a movie's theatrical release date and the time it can drop locally on a streaming platform.

The move comes after producers and distributors sounded alarm bells about their struggle to get audiences back into movie theaters.

Speaking to the Italian industry gathered in Rome's presidential Quirinale Palace ahead of the David di Donatello Awards — the country's top prizes being held on Tuesday — the minister vowed to put in place new windowing regulations that will replace the current 90-day window established in March.

He did not specify how wide Italy's new window will be.

I'd assume that 3 months between a film opening in cinemas and it dropping on streaming platforms should be more than enough, I don't think that widening it will help cinemas. It's clear that box offices from now on will be much lower than usual.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 03, 2022, 10:27:02 AMAn interesting debate for the new streaming era:

QuoteItaly to Widen Theatrical Window Following Box Office Debacle

Italy's Culture Minister Enrico Franceschini has announced plans to widen the window between a movie's theatrical release date and the time it can drop locally on a streaming platform.

The move comes after producers and distributors sounded alarm bells about their struggle to get audiences back into movie theaters.

Speaking to the Italian industry gathered in Rome's presidential Quirinale Palace ahead of the David di Donatello Awards — the country's top prizes being held on Tuesday — the minister vowed to put in place new windowing regulations that will replace the current 90-day window established in March.

He did not specify how wide Italy's new window will be.

I'd assume that 3 months between a film opening in cinemas and it dropping on streaming platforms should be more than enough, I don't think that widening it will help cinemas. It's clear that box offices from now on will be much lower than usual.

It's a silly measure outside of specialty movies (which have a much longer shelf life). Most movies make like 90% of their total box office during the first two months of release.

Barrister

I remember as a kid it would take months, even a full year, before a theatrical release would come out on home video.

It slowly shrunk to as little as 3 months.

Now in the streaming era it's down to 45 days, or even a simultaneous release.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Doctor Strange was good.  It definitely has the Sam Raimy touch. 
PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 06, 2022, 07:04:34 AMDoctor Strange was good.  It definitely has the Sam Raimy touch. 

Good to hear, was afraid his style would be drowned out by the Marvel conveyor line. I'll probably watch it next week, once the crowds abate a little.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 11:40:53 AMI remember as a kid it would take months, even a full year, before a theatrical release would come out on home video.

Luxury.

I had to wait for the movie to end up, in a heavily butchered form, as ABC's Movie of the Week.  :lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2022, 05:50:03 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 03, 2022, 11:40:53 AMI remember as a kid it would take months, even a full year, before a theatrical release would come out on home video.

Luxury.

I had to wait for the movie to end up, in a heavily butchered form, as ABC's Movie of the Week.  :lmfao:

I had to watch it in a rolled up newspaper, while eating a handful of hot gravel.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on May 07, 2022, 06:47:06 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2022, 05:50:03 AM

Luxury.

I had to watch it in a rolled up newspaper, while eating a handful of hot gravel.

Gravel?  We used to dream about getting to eat hot gravel.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

I must say that seeing Daniel Radcliffe playing Weird Al Yankovic in a biopic of sorts isn't something I ever expected to see in the screen.