News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 03:20:08 PMI haven't followed it too closely, but Johnny Depp has to be the dumbest motherfucker to ever walk the earth to have gone and sued his ex-wife for defamation.  We're only in the plaintiff's case so far (so Amber Heard still gets to present evidence) and Depp sounds like a complete disaster on the stand.

Remember - he started this!  He didn't have to take this to court.
I think he figures he has nothing to lose, he has no carreer anymore.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on April 22, 2022, 03:31:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 03:20:08 PMI haven't followed it too closely, but Johnny Depp has to be the dumbest motherfucker to ever walk the earth to have gone and sued his ex-wife for defamation.  We're only in the plaintiff's case so far (so Amber Heard still gets to present evidence) and Depp sounds like a complete disaster on the stand.

And this lawsuit is only hurting his career more.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2022, 06:41:40 PMI have lots in common with someone born in  1965 while much less with someone born in 2003.
If you don't know who are Def Leppard and Bon Jovie, it means you're a millenial :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Celebrities suing for defamation only to be destroyed on cross examination is a staple of legal entertainment, has been ever since Wilde vs. Queensbury at least.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2022, 03:50:31 PMhas been ever since Wilde vs. Queensbury at least.

First as tragedy, then as farce.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 03:36:36 PMAnd this lawsuit is only hurting his career more.

Is it?  When you are at zero, there's not much to lose.

There is a legal and a non-legal dimension here.  The legal dimension is that US defamation cases are hard to win generally, there are some terrible docs in the case, and the accusation by Depp of abuse by Heard does not really help his legal case - on the contrary it may make the accusations of two-way violence more believable.  It's hard to see this terminating in a good verdict for him.

But outside the courtroom, anecdotally, Depp seems to be drumming up support among the public. That won't help him in a Virginia courthouse but it may help him in the broader court of public opinion.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 03:36:36 PM

Aye, but where's the rum?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Legbiter

Saw the Northman with my oldest son. Can't remember when I last saw a new movie in theater that wasn't Marvel flick number DCCLIII . Pleasantly entertained and Icelanders get an extra bonus in that all the skaldic poetry is in Old Norse. It's crammed with Saga story beats and well put together.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 05:20:18 PMSaw the Northman with my oldest son. Can't remember when I last saw a new movie in theater that wasn't Marvel flick number DCCLIII . Pleasantly entertained and Icelanders get an extra bonus in that all the skaldic poetry is in Old Norse. It's crammed with Saga story beats and well put together.

Has the "Legbiter" Icelandic Seal of Approval soon I'll be watching it :thumbsup:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Legbiter

I most enjoy how relentlessly unrelatable the movie is. It makes zero, absolutely zero effort to ease modern audiences into the ethos and culture of pagan Norsemen, Amleth gets decidedly less and less sympathetic as a character as he relentlessly follows the logical conclusion of the honor-based vengeance he must take. I'm pessimistic the film will make a profit at the box office. But the soundtrack is fantastic, the acting is great (Nicole Kidman steals every scene she's in) and the dialogue is very Saga-flavored. People going in expecting Viking Braveheart are in for a shock.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2022, 03:36:36 PM

At this point, he is a wife beater.  Not even presumed, he is.  He wants to clear his name and try to depict Heard as crazy as she is.  It's not about his career, he knows it's over and done.

viper37

Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 06:53:30 PMI most enjoy how relentlessly unrelatable the movie is. It makes zero, absolutely zero effort to ease modern audiences into the ethos and culture of pagan Norsemen, Amleth gets decidedly less and less sympathetic as a character as he relentlessly follows the logical conclusion of the honor-based vengeance he must take. I'm pessimistic the film will make a profit at the box office. But the soundtrack is fantastic, the acting is great (Nicole Kidman steals every scene she's in) and the dialogue is very Saga-flavored. People going in expecting Viking Braveheart are in for a shock.
Saw a review from a local newspaper that hated it, for all the reasons you list as positive.  I knew reading this I would like the movie :D

celedhring

Quote from: Legbiter on April 22, 2022, 06:53:30 PMI most enjoy how relentlessly unrelatable the movie is. It makes zero, absolutely zero effort to ease modern audiences into the ethos and culture of pagan Norsemen, Amleth gets decidedly less and less sympathetic as a character as he relentlessly follows the logical conclusion of the honor-based vengeance he must take. I'm pessimistic the film will make a profit at the box office. But the soundtrack is fantastic, the acting is great (Nicole Kidman steals every scene she's in) and the dialogue is very Saga-flavored. People going in expecting Viking Braveheart are in for a shock.

Yeah, sounds like a Robert Eggers movie.  :lol:

(I love his work, fwiw)

And my mother wants me to take her to see it, thinking it's some kind of fun Norse epic and because Kidman is in it. I'm trying to talk her out of it...

Josquius

So we are talking the viking version of the Green Knight or...?

From what little trailers and such I've seen I was honestly expecting more a silly TV Vikingsesque thing.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Netflix is grouping Breaking Bad apparently with Shrek, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs etc.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.