And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on July 25, 2020, 03:35:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2020, 10:12:51 AM
Warrior Nun, much better than the title might suggest.

Well, that's an awesome title if you ask me.  :P

Will check it out. I just tried "Cursed" which was a bit awful (just by the first two episodes).

I always liked "Nuns with Guns" as a title. 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2020, 03:35:58 PM

Will check it out. I just tried "Cursed" which was a bit awful (just by the first two episodes).

I always liked "Nuns with Guns" as a title. 😄

Or the alternative title for Two Mules for Sister Sarah: "Slim and Nun."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

"-My father was a nun.

-No he wasn't, Baldrick."

etc
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

The first few episodes of Cursed are awful, it gets a bit better but the writing can be pretty bad, for example to leader of the Red Paladins suggesting the real crusade is in Britain rather than Jerusalem-I suppose season 2 will explain he is a time traveller and just got confused.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2020, 03:02:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2020, 01:02:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2020, 10:48:47 AM
Everyone in the Languish Legal Brigade: go out and watch the Aussie series "Rake" now on Netflix. It's a blast. 😄

Particularly looking at you, BB and CC ... the lead character is exactly like BB, only literally the opposite in every particular. 😉

Mrs CC loves it.  I avoid shows about lawyers but given your recommendation will give it a try.   :)

The Aussie legal system is much closer to the English one in its particulars - bewigged barristers, and the barrister-solicitor pairing being a major focus. For me, since I never see the inside of a courtroom, the barrister lifestyle is sufficiently alien that I can enjoy it being satirized.

So yes, now that I've seen this, this is *exactly* what I think the life of a courtroom lawyer is like ... 😉

But seriously, apparently the Bar in New South Wales loves the show, despite (or perhaps because) it is so over the top.

Rake is quite fun. I think I got to the third season and then forgot about it. I'll have to dive back in. :thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

The Crazies. People in a small town start going berserk. Turns out the government lost a bio-weapon in their water supply. So, the military massacres the town. More disturbing than scary. Timothy Olyphant plays a sheriff.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

RIP John Saxon, the guy you remember from ... pretty much everything:

198 acting credits:
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0768334/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Watched Venom. The movie's shite but Tom Hardy is weirdly great in it  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2020, 03:51:50 PM
Watched Venom. The movie's shite but Tom Hardy is weirdly great in it  :lol:
Yes! It's so weird. Half a really insipid boring Marvel effort, half Tom Hardy putting in the most deranged performance this side of Nick Cage. A very odd, lumpy film that isn't unenjoyable because Hardy.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

He's so utterly committed, even in the physical comedy scenes :lol: I know, "money!", but I love how an actor of his stature can read that script and think "I want to do this and I'll go 1000%".

The Minsky Moment

That's what separates the merely good actors from the true pros.  Any decent actor can pull of a star turn in well-scripted and directed vehicle.  The true pros shine even when the surrounding material is utter shit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on July 22, 2020, 07:56:21 PM
Just binged From the Earth to the Moon, and it was even better the second time.  I hadn't appreciated the first time how little of it was actually set in space/in spacesuits. 

It saddened me, though, that the most impressive thing that mankind has ever done was done when I was fourteen years old.  More than 50 years ago.  Before most people here were even born.

probably before most people on earth were born, or very close to it.
maybe the new rivalries will result in some new results

----------------

Avatar: the last airbender (the series) was suprisingly good.

The Brain

Event Horizon. Again. I like this movie. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Enjoying The Norsemen; a parody take of Vikings.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Anthony on BBC by Jimmy McGovern.

Background to this is Anthony Walker who was an 18 year old murdered with an ice pick in a racist attack in Merseyside. Since then his mum, Gee Walker, has been a prominent campaigner in Liverpool, set up a charity etc. She's become friends with Jimmy McGovern and actually helped him with scripts before (especially around depicting grief) and worked with him on this. Jimmy McGovern is by some distance my favourite TV writer, who's done incredible "genre" TV but also a lot of campaigning TV that's actually had an impact - he's a bit like Ken Loach but for TV and exclusively in the North-West: Cracker, Priest, Hillsborough, The Street, Broken.

McGovern and Walker worked together on this and it is the life Anthony could have had - so it starts with him at 25 then flashes back year by year. He's not a great hero, is occasionally a bit of a dick but it's just beautifully observed about the small stuff of life: meeting a girl, getting married, having a kid, helping out a mate, rowing with your sister.

Then it gets back to him aged 18 and shows the life he had and how it ended.

As a technique I think it probably would have been crap if it didn't obviously involve his mum but also wasn't in the hands of a writer as good as McGovern. But it's a really excellent, devastating semi docu-drama of the type McGovern does best (just like Hillsborough) and sort of tribute from a mum.
Let's bomb Russia!