News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Just binged From the Earth to the Moon, and it was even better the second time.  I hadn't appreciated the first time how little of it was actually set in space/in spacesuits. 

It saddened me, though, that the most impressive thing that mankind has ever done was done when I was fourteen years old.  More than 50 years ago.  Before most people here were even born.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2020, 04:49:10 PM
I'm watching an older series, "Lilyhammer". At first I thought it was an American production using an exotic Norwegian locale visited by a fish out of water New Yorker ... then I realized it was a Norwegian production using an exotic American fish out of water guy as a foil for poking fun at Norwegian society etc.

I liked it. Except the third series. Could never get into that.

It's remarkable how much reasonably high budget decent TV comes out of Norway
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

New Bill and Ted 3 trailer out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gPGeAYo3yU

But probably the most exciting news is that the movie will be coming on in both theatres and streaming.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

A Serious Man. Boring and ends with unresolved issues. Meh.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Since the lockdown I've been working my way through QI. I had previously watched up till "K", so there's some catching up to do. Now at series "N", the first with Sandi Toksvig. I think she's a good replacement for Stephen Fry (who, by all accounts, was burned out on the show, and it's quite noticeable in some "M" episodes). Was surprised to see Corey Taylor from Slipknot on the panel. Turns out he's a fan of the show and always wanted to be on it. Non-comedians on panel shows can be cringe-worthy at times, but I thought he fit right in. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Does the quality actually get worse in later series or is it just my tastes changed?
I remember loving it when it started, but got quite bored of it sometime before the Toksvig switch.
I think it's a bit of a relic of pre Internet times when general knowledge and random facts were hard to come by.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I still find it charming. Now that you mention it, I mostly watch it for the banter and less so for the factoids, though there is the occasional interesting bit. That said, some items are not entirely factual (like the female half naked between Austrian aristocrats which may have been a hoax), which is nothing new. Considering the show has been running for so long and still has 8 or so years ahead if they go through the entire alphabet I feel they may be running a bit short of material, and with so much stuff going viral it doesn't help. It doesn't have many "whoa, really?" moments.

I do like Alan Davies, Sandi Toksvig and Stephen Fry quite a bit, though, so that helps.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Toksvig has done very well filling Stephen's shoes. They will probably make it to Z, but not necessarily at prime time on BBC2.

Speaking of which, there's no comedy to be found on Friday night anymore.  :(

Josquius

Three billboards outside ebbing missouri - not a good film. Sets up a lot of Hollywood clichés for the direction it could go but ends up not doing anything with them. Not even subverting them. Just laying false trails. Doesn't go anywhere.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

:o I thought it was great.

crazy canuck

Warrior Nun, much better than the title might suggest. 

Malthus

Everyone in the Languish Legal Brigade: go out and watch the Aussie series "Rake" now on Netflix. It's a blast. 😄

Particularly looking at you, BB and CC ... the lead character is exactly like BB, only literally the opposite in every particular. 😉
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2020, 10:48:47 AM
Everyone in the Languish Legal Brigade: go out and watch the Aussie series "Rake" now on Netflix. It's a blast. 😄

Particularly looking at you, BB and CC ... the lead character is exactly like BB, only literally the opposite in every particular. 😉

Mrs CC loves it.  I avoid shows about lawyers but given your recommendation will give it a try.   :)

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2020, 01:02:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2020, 10:48:47 AM

Mrs CC loves it.  I avoid shows about lawyers but given your recommendation will give it a try.   :)

The Aussie legal system is much closer to the English one in its particulars - bewigged barristers, and the barrister-solicitor pairing being a major focus. For me, since I never see the inside of a courtroom, the barrister lifestyle is sufficiently alien that I can enjoy it being satirized.

So yes, now that I've seen this, this is *exactly* what I think the life of a courtroom lawyer is like ... 😉

But seriously, apparently the Bar in New South Wales loves the show, despite (or perhaps because) it is so over the top.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 25, 2020, 10:12:51 AM
Warrior Nun, much better than the title might suggest.

Well, that's an awesome title if you ask me.  :P

Will check it out. I just tried "Cursed" which was a bit awful (just by the first two episodes).