News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Eurovision. It's a totally OK feelgood movie, but not as good comedy. Will Ferrell movies are better when he doesn't write.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2020, 02:26:42 AM
I can't say much as for the veracity of the claims made in it, which more or less absolve Tonya of any wrongdoing on the attack on Kerrigan.
from what I remember, she always claimed her husband did it without her knowledge and the FBI could never absolutely proove she was behind it, just their gut feeling.
She suffered from an inferiority complex to Kerrigan, but did she go up to tell her boyfriend to break her legs? Verdict is still out.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2020, 06:03:26 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2020, 02:26:42 AM
I can't say much as for the veracity of the claims made in it, which more or less absolve Tonya of any wrongdoing on the attack on Kerrigan.
from what I remember, she always claimed her husband did it without her knowledge and the FBI could never absolutely proove she was behind it, just their gut feeling.
She suffered from an inferiority complex to Kerrigan, but did she go up to tell her boyfriend to break her legs? Verdict is still out.

That's the angle the movie is pushing. Furthermore, they present it as the hitmen doing it without her husband knowing (he thought they'd only scare Kerrigan to make her nervous during the championship).

The Brain

A Bigger Splash. Showbiz couple enjoy themselves at their quiet villa, then high-energy ex Ralph Fiennes shows up bringing drama. Totally OK movie.

Note to Netflix: sex and nudity are two very different things.

The Brain

The Lighthouse. There was something wrong with my television, so I attempted to adjust the picture. No luck, I ended up watching it in B&W and squarish format. Two lighthouse keepers face the stress of the isolation that comes with the job. Not horrible, but it should have been a bit shorter, like so many movies. It's essentially a short story, not a novel, so pushing two hours is simply unnecessary.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on July 11, 2020, 02:18:03 AM
That's the angle the movie is pushing. Furthermore, they present it as the hitmen doing it without her husband knowing (he thought they'd only scare Kerrigan to make her nervous during the championship).
hmm, no, that part was proven in court, he and a friend hired and helped a "hitman" to break her leg/injure her.  They wanter her out of the competition.

Reading Wikipedia, it also came very close, a few centimeters below and her kneecap would have been broken, possibly preventing her from using her leg for life. :(

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2020, 05:43:34 PM
The Lighthouse. There was something wrong with my television, so I attempted to adjust the picture. No luck, I ended up watching it in B&W and squarish format. Two lighthouse keepers face the stress of the isolation that comes with the job. Not horrible, but it should have been a bit shorter, like so many movies. It's essentially a short story, not a novel, so pushing two hours is simply unnecessary.

Addendum: if you enjoy Bell Biv Dafoe speaking Moby Dickish then it's the movie for you.

Syt

Trailer for Star Trek - Lower Decks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw

EDIT: Wait, this was created by Mike McMahan, who worked on Rick and Morty before? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Europa Report. Scienticians go to Europa searching for life. Don't bother with this one.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2020, 03:44:35 PM
Europa Report. Scienticians go to Europa searching for life. Don't bother with this one.

Yeah, that was really bad.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on July 12, 2020, 03:48:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2020, 03:44:35 PM

Yeah, that was really bad.

There are so many problems with it. But it's nice that they, in a nod to tradition, had a Swede playing a space Russian. It is symptomatic though that he didn't even bother to use a Russian accent but stuck to his Swedish one.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2020, 01:31:36 PM
Trailer for Star Trek - Lower Decks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3RkBKedKWw

EDIT: Wait, this was created by Mike McMahan, who worked on Rick and Morty before? :unsure:
that link is no longer available.  All I have are a bunch of trekkies commenting on the trailer.

Habbaku

Just wrapped up season 3 of Babylon Berlin.

Really looking forward to season 4 now.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on July 12, 2020, 06:12:15 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2020, 01:31:36 PM

that link is no longer available.  All I have are a bunch of trekkies commenting on the trailer.

That particular trailer was region locked.  QUick google search should find a different one.

Looks fun. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

It wasn't a "quick" Google search, but I finally got it, using Google, duh, instead of DuckDuckGo.
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2550039/star-trek-lower-decks-first-trailer-features-borg-blast-shields-and-hilarious-action?jwsource=cl

It does look extremely fun :D