News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

On my HBO there is both The White Queen and The White Princess. Is any of them any good?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

If one of those is the one with that chick from Twilight I thought the part I watched was not very good.

The Brain

I don't think so, at least not the main chick from Twilight.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2020, 03:30:10 PM
If one of those is the one with that chick from Twilight I thought the part I watched was not very good.

That's Snow White and the Huntsman. And it's kinda weird.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

Anyone watched the HBO Perry Mason yet?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Yeah. They've reinvented him as a gumshoe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2020, 08:38:54 AM
My GF & I were very surprised by the fact that they just perform 1 song over & over.
just like the real Eurovision.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2020, 11:31:28 PM
Watched Eurovision.  Not great, but I laughed a few times.  Curious to hear how it played in Iceland.

Movie casting is such a weird thing though.  The movie had Pierce Brosnan (born in 1953) play Will Farrell's character's father (born in 1967), while Farrell's love interest Rachel McAdams (born in 1978) is clearly shown as being about the same age as Farrell's character.

The most striking case of this I can think of is fraiser where there were only a few years between kelsey grammar and the actor playing his dad.
I wonder if there have been any where the younger actor was the father.

Contrary to the usual way this sort of thing is done it does seem will ferrel played someone the right age given the intro scene with Waterloo. It's McAdams playing a few years older (in the scene where they're kids sigrid does look a bit younger than ferrels character)
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on July 08, 2020, 06:13:31 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 08, 2020, 08:38:54 AM
My GF & I were very surprised by the fact that they just perform 1 song over & over.
just like the real Eurovision.

Yeah, I read Eurovision's wikipedia all thru out the movie. Eurovision is crazy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2020, 06:25:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 07, 2020, 11:31:28 PM
Watched Eurovision.  Not great, but I laughed a few times.  Curious to hear how it played in Iceland.

Movie casting is such a weird thing though.  The movie had Pierce Brosnan (born in 1953) play Will Farrell's character's father (born in 1967), while Farrell's love interest Rachel McAdams (born in 1978) is clearly shown as being about the same age as Farrell's character.

The most striking case of this I can think of is fraiser where there were only a few years between kelsey grammar and the actor playing his dad.
I wonder if there have been any where the younger actor was the father.

Contrary to the usual way this sort of thing is done it does seem will ferrel played someone the right age given the intro scene with Waterloo. It's McAdams playing a few years older (in the scene where they're kids sigrid does look a bit younger than ferrels character)

I believe Bea Arthur was older than Estelle Getty.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2020, 06:25:09 PM
It's always way. The average age of leading women is normally about 20 years under the leading man.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

I actually thought Ferrell did not work well in that role at all. He was too ridiculous, and it just made you think the female was a moron for being so in love with him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

It was a dumb comedy, a less ridiculous lead would be out of place.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on July 08, 2020, 03:13:52 PM
On my HBO there is both The White Queen and The White Princess. Is any of them any good?

War of the Roses theme, no? It was meh, but could have been worse.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 08, 2020, 10:22:41 PM
It was a dumb comedy, a less ridiculous lead would be out of place.

Yeah, but it wasn't THAT dumb, and he is THAT dumb. That is why it didn't work.

He only does Elf level of dumb, where you like him because he is so innocently dumb.

In this he was just...dumb. There wasn't anything likable about him, and it was actually obvious that everyone who said he was a loser and failure were actually right. The girl was the only talent there in their band, and he actually was messing her up. All the "bad" guys were actually right.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned