News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Aladdin - too many songs, some stupid, and painfully American. But overall quite good. Better than the other live action remakes Disney has a weird hard on for lately. I imagine kids will like it.
Though it has just hit me how Aladdin is thoroughly Arabian now. The Chinese original that I remember has been obliterated.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Did you never watch the original movie?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2020, 02:17:35 AM
(snip)
Though it has just hit me how Aladdin is thoroughly Arabian now. The Chinese original that I remember has been obliterated.

Aladdin has always been thoroughly Arabian.  Did the Chinese version you first saw/heard actually pace the story in China?  The original Arab version said it was in "one of the distant cities of China" but the story is clearly set in the Middle east, with Arab names, Sultans, genies, Muslims, the Maghreb, etc.  Did the Chinese version you saw or heard use the Arab names from the Thousand and One Nights "original" version, or Chinese names?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Liep

Eurovision movie. Very true to the magical source material, best part was Nadja from What we do in the shadows' cameo.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on June 27, 2020, 02:31:33 PM
Eurovision movie. Very true to the magical source material, best part was Nadja from What we do in the shadows' cameo.

I'm planning on watching it tonight or tomorrow. Was it big fun?

Josquius

I saw the Eurovision film today. It was pretty good. Though negative points for not featuring the volcano man song more prominently.

Quote from: grumbler on June 27, 2020, 08:45:08 AM
(snip)

Aladdin has always been thoroughly Arabian.  Did the Chinese version you first saw/heard actually pace the story in China?  The original Arab version said it was in "one of the distant cities of China" but the story is clearly set in the Middle east, with Arab names, Sultans, genies, Muslims, the Maghreb, etc.  Did the Chinese version you saw or heard use the Arab names from the Thousand and One Nights "original" version, or Chinese names?

I'm really not sure what you're trying to argue here. The story is from China?
Versions I saw as a kid always had it set in China. I haven't exactly seen many pantomimes this side of 10 years old but this seems to be another example of Disney completely rewriting people's image of the story.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2020, 05:57:18 PM

Versions I saw as a kid always had it set in China. I haven't exactly seen many pantomimes this side of 10 years old but this seems to be another example of Disney completely rewriting people's image of the story.
I think UK pantos are the only ones where Aladdin is sort of set possibly in China (Widow Twankey).

Isn't the Disney just a remake of the cartoon? :mellow: Which is in the Middle-East, no.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

I am arguing that the story is included in "the Thousand and One Arabian Nights" (though not the earliest versions of it) and is set in the stories in Arabia.  I cant speak to the pantomimes you saw as a child, but if they had the story set in China among Chinese, they were not true to the original story.  Disney isn't at fault here, your juvenile pantomime hosts were.  Nowhere outside your bucolic paradise had this story actually set in China.

Alladin is an Arab (not Chinese) name.  (Princess) Buddir al-Buddoor has an Arab (not Chinese) name.  Genies (djinn) are Arab (not Chinese) creatures.  The whole set in "a Chinese city" bit is pure rhetoric, much like " a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" was not really supposed to make you think that all the Star Wars characters were non-human, no matter how they looked or had names like "Luke."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 27, 2020, 06:06:11 PM
I think UK pantos are the only ones where Aladdin is sort of set possibly in China (Widow Twankey).

Looking up that name exposed a shitload of racism!  :lol:

QuoteThe character has had a number of different names including Ching Ching, Wee Ping, Chow Chow, and Tan King.

Aladdin's brother was named "Washee-Washee" in a late-19th-Century pantomime.  "Twankey" becomes "Tuang Kee Chung" in a 1979 (!) musical.

Again, it isn't just Disney that is misusing this story. 

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Widow Twankey is still the panto dame in Aladdin - Ian McKellen doing it a couple of years ago:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Aladdin - too many songs, some stupid, and painfully American. But overall quite good. Better than the other live action remakes Disney has a weird hard on for lately. I imagine kids will like it.
I didn't like it much.  It has cultural appropriation against the Smurfs and I'm totally against that.  And the singing...  :x
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on June 27, 2020, 02:58:33 PM

I'm planning on watching it tonight or tomorrow. Was it big fun?

It's good fun, obviously knows that its target audience is not Americans.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Habbaku

Yes, and yes.

Also a classic song that will live forever in our hearts:

https://youtu.be/qSV6ZpTbNR4
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

I saw the Eurovision film today. It was pretty good. Though negative points for not featuring the volcano man song more prominently.

Quote from: grumbler on June 27, 2020, 08:45:08 AM
(snip)

Versions I saw as a kid were always set in the Middle East. So must be a British panto thing.

The Larch

Wiki seems to agree that it's a British pantomime thing exclusively:

QuoteIn the United Kingdom, the story of Aladdin was dramatised in 1788 by John O'Keefe for the Theatre Royal, Covent Garden. It has been a popular subject for pantomime for over 200 years.

The traditional Aladdin pantomime is the source of the well-known pantomime character Widow Twankey (Aladdin's mother). In pantomime versions, changes in the setting and story are often made to fit it better into "China", and elements of other Arabian Nights tales (in particular Ali Baba) are often introduced into the plot. One version of the "pantomime Aladdin" is Sandy Wilson's musical Aladdin, from 1979.

Since the early 1990s Aladdin pantomimes have tended to be influenced by the Disney animation. For instance, the 2007/8 production at the Birmingham Hippodrome starring John Barrowman featured songs from the Disney movies Aladdin and Mulan.