Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on June 24, 2020, 03:18:16 PM
Foundation trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

Looks like it will deal mostly with the prequels and the first part of the first book?

Eddie Teach

Appletv  <_<

I wish they'd consolidate all these streaming services already.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 25, 2020, 03:05:31 AM
Appletv  <_<

I wish they'd consolidate all these streaming services already.

Or at least have some die off/collaborate centrally (like how Hulu was though I think that's coming apart with NBC launching its own service)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Apple having their own streaming service is utterly pointless. At least the other companies are actual content producers with large libraries. I don't give it much life, to be honest, which is a pity since there's a couple of shows I like.

I assume several of those platforms will die in the coming years.

Josquius

The one that mystifies me is rakuten TV. Always saw adverts for it on easyjet flights.
Considering rakuten itself hasn't cracked Europe I'm just not sure what they're doing there.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on June 25, 2020, 04:27:22 AM
The one that mystifies me is rakuten TV. Always saw adverts for it on easyjet flights.
Considering rakuten itself hasn't cracked Europe I'm just not sure what they're doing there.

When I got my Roku recently, it gave me a choice to pick three free films on Rakuten. Otherwise, it looks mostly like a google play type store so I've not seen much use for it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

A while back Viper recommended Britannia - a series set in the Roman invasion of that province.  Artistic licence with history but some very memorable characters and great dialogue especially in season 2.  We get in on CBC's Gem service but it is probably available on other streamers outside Canada.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2020, 07:47:08 AM
A while back Viper recommended Britannia - a series set in the Roman invasion of that province.  Artistic licence with history but some very memorable characters and great dialogue especially in season 2.  We get in on CBC's Gem service but it is probably available on other streamers outside Canada.

It's enjoyable but with severe anachronisms from time to time: a West African actor for a North African Numidian for PC reasons, and Cairo being mentioned, despite being founded much later. That was the first season though.
I'll try to watch the second series though, for the memorable characters, as you said, mostly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 25, 2020, 08:08:02 AM

It's enjoyable but with severe anachronisms from time to time: a West African actor for a North African Numidian for PC reasons, and Cairo being mentioned, despite being founded much later. That was the first season though.
I'll try to watch the second series though, for the memorable characters, as you said, mostly.

Second season has more of a Knight's Tale vibe and I think it works.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2020, 12:20:42 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2020, 04:13:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2020, 02:18:35 PM
Overlord. American paratroopers on D-Day jump into Weird War 2. Not very good. The chick is hot.

Btw, how many months of training did US paratroopers on D-Day have?

a bit under 2 years I think, going by a quick search

Thanks. A guy in the movie claims 3 months which I knew was too little. It's not a very good movie.

Usually soldiers would serve some time in a line unit before being allowed to volunteer for paratroop duty.  Jump school is three weeks long.  There would have likely been some advanced training (air assault training in the US Army is currently another ten days), but then it would be unit quals and exercises.  Three months' training is entirely possible.

The two US airborne divisions dropped on D-Day had been activated 21 months earlier, but many of the members would have joined in the meantime.  The longest-serving members would have 21 months' training, the shortest-serving as little as one month.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on June 25, 2020, 08:38:59 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 25, 2020, 12:20:42 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 24, 2020, 04:13:35 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 24, 2020, 02:18:35 PM
Overlord. American paratroopers on D-Day jump into Weird War 2. Not very good. The chick is hot.

Btw, how many months of training did US paratroopers on D-Day have?

a bit under 2 years I think, going by a quick search

Thanks. A guy in the movie claims 3 months which I knew was too little. It's not a very good movie.

Usually soldiers would serve some time in a line unit before being allowed to volunteer for paratroop duty.  Jump school is three weeks long.  There would have likely been some advanced training (air assault training in the US Army is currently another ten days), but then it would be unit quals and exercises.  Three months' training is entirely possible.

The two US airborne divisions dropped on D-Day had been activated 21 months earlier, but many of the members would have joined in the meantime.  The longest-serving members would have 21 months' training, the shortest-serving as little as one month.

Thanks. The guy in the movie said he'd gotten a letter from the Army/Uncle Sam (don't remember the exact words) three months earlier (implying that he was a civilian three months before D-Day). Is three months total in uniform possible?

In the interest of full disclosure: the movie doesn't suck because of any historical inaccuracies (if they are inaccurate), the movie sucks for normal movie-related reasons. So whatever you do, don't watch the movie even if three months is possible!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Three months doesn't sound crazy.  A month for basic training, a couple weeks for combat infantry, a couple weeks for jump?  There were jumps as part of Operation Torch in November 42.

What blows my mind is that Uboat crews were still getting a full year for training cruises in the Baltic up until the end of the war.

celedhring

I watched the first episodes of the first season and I thought it looked pretty dumb, but you're not the first person that says it becomes enjoyable. I might give it another chance.

Quote from: Tyr on June 25, 2020, 04:27:22 AM

It came preinstalled in my telly, looking at the catalogue of their subscription service they seem to have stuff that other platforms have, except for some rather obscure stuff. Seems a bit pointless.

Eddie Teach

I liked the first season of Britannia. Glad to hear there's a second, even if not available on Netflix yet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Threviel

Finished Normal People. Damn. It's just heart breaking. Opens up so many memories and makes me want to get back in touch with ancient friends just to see if all went well for them.