News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Cats.  I actually enjoyed it.  Once you get over the way they look it was fine.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

True Grit

Thor

The Avengers

American Hustle

Guardians of the Galaxy

Ant-Man

Doctor Strange

With the list, Spider-Man homecoming.

Black Panther

#1 Captain Marvel
#2 Avengers Endgame
#3 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
#4 Frozen II (My goddaughter wanted to see it and her mom was tired of hearing about it, so I was left to take her out to the movies :P )
#5 I have yet to see another movie of 2019 :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Infinity War came out last year. I think you mean Endgame.

Both are better than Captain Marvel. :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

duh!
yes, I meant Endgame.  :blush:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Camerus

My best films list:

2010: King's Speech. I'm a sucker for Cinderella stories.

2011: Moneyball. A pretty good guy flick. Underdog launches ambitious plan using brains, innovation and a keen eye for talent.

2012: Argo. Best flick from a weak year.

2013: Blue Jasmine. In the lowest circle of Dante's hell sits the devil, frozen, with his mind turned in entirely on his own situation. The main character in this film similarly lives in her own solipsistic hell.

2014: Whiplash. Interesting meditation on the line between being a demanding coach trying to push your students to new heights and being a psychopathic bully. Took on new relevance for Leafs fans following the firing of Babcock this year.  ;)

2015: Another weak year. Big Short gets the nod for its innovative and fun take on an important but otherwise dry and technical topic.

2016: Arrival. A bit of a dark horse for sure, but one that overawed me in the theater with the intensity of its music and cinematography and the unpredictably of its plot.

2017: Death of Stalin. "I've had nightmares that make more sense than this." A top-shelf black comedy of how both everyday people and Stalin's inner circle navigated the bizarre and terrifying world of Soviet make-believe in the days before and after Uncle Joe's death.

2018: A Quiet Place. How one family maintains the will to survive in a post-apocalyptic world overrun by beasts of prey. One reason I won't forget seeing this is that much of the time there is total silence on screen and so the loudest sound in the the theatre was me crunching on my popcorn.  :blush:

2019: Withholding judgment as there are still a number of 2019 films I'd like to see but haven't yet.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 29, 2019, 12:52:31 AM
I haven't seen Knives Out yet. Current favorite for the year is Midsommar.

it was pretty entertaining. The daniel craig accent was a bit weird though (as in: can't he speak normal)

Sheilbh

My understanding is it was deliberate. A bit like Poirot's accent rather than trying for normal/natural.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Mudbound.  Race relations in post WWII Mississippi.  One hour of plot shoehorned into a 2 hour movie.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on December 29, 2019, 06:12:59 PM
Cam. Cam girl gets her account hacked. Not horrible, some good parts.

Did you get to see these good parts?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on December 30, 2019, 08:54:26 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 29, 2019, 06:12:59 PM
Cam. Cam girl gets her account hacked. Not horrible, some good parts.

Did you get to see these good parts?

There's some boobs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2019, 01:50:54 PM
CK2 the TV series? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIY1Ws6pbKs

I'm confused. Wasn't this a series where Radcliffe is an angel and buschmi god?
██████
██████
██████