News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on December 24, 2019, 09:24:27 PM
Been rewatching Star Trek:TNG, since I barely remember the early episodes and haven't seen them since.  As a kid, I didn't realize how bad the first season was.... I'm amazed the show didn't get cancelled rewatching them now. :lol:  Almost every episode goes like this: something bad happens, none of the adults know what to do, and Wesley Crusher saves the day. :bleeding:
There hadn't been Star Trek on tv for an entire generation AND there was not much sci-fi on tv AND as bad as it was, it was still better than 90% of the stuff out there :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Counsellor Troi in a mini skirt.

Nuff said.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Hamilcar

I really enjoyed The Witcher.

Toss a coin to your witcher, o' valley of plenty....

The Brain

I recently got the new Alien RPG, so I decided to rewatch Prometheus to refresh my memory on the new crap, and I'm gonna watch Covenant (which I haven't seen). Prometheus is still quite silly, but it was certainly less painful when I knew it would suck going in. I had totally forgot that the [spoiler]birth scene was a MIB tribute: "-Congratulations! It's a... squid."[/spoiler] One thing that's annoying in crappy movies like this is that some obvious stuff like [spoiler]the similarity between God and the Engineers when it comes to changing their mind and killing their creation[/spoiler] cannot be assumed to have entered the writer's radar. In a good movie you could assume that this point was recognized by at least [spoiler]David[/spoiler], but here...? No.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on December 25, 2019, 07:03:58 PM
I recently got the new Alien RPG, so I decided to rewatch Prometheus to refresh my memory on the new crap, and I'm gonna watch Covenant (which I haven't seen). Prometheus is still quite silly, but it was certainly less painful when I knew it would suck going in. I had totally forgot that the [spoiler]birth scene was a MIB tribute: "-Congratulations! It's a... squid."[/spoiler] One thing that's annoying in crappy movies like this is that some obvious stuff like [spoiler]the similarity between God and the Engineers when it comes to changing their mind and killing their creation[/spoiler] cannot be assumed to have entered the writer's radar. In a good movie you could assume that this point was recognized by at least [spoiler]David[/spoiler], but here...? No.

It's also heavily influenced by "At the Mountains of Madness"

Tamas

Fair warning: Prometheus, which is objectively a terrible movie, is a masterpiece of the cinematic art when compared to Covenant.

Josquius

Mars Attacks is in TV. I remember seeing this in the cinema many years ago.
Watching it again though... I wonder. Are they just comically evil villains who claim to come in peace then murder.... Or is the awful translator machine responsible? The general speaks, its translated, then they look shocked. Hmm
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on December 26, 2019, 04:37:24 AM
Fair warning: Prometheus, which is objectively a terrible movie, is a masterpiece of the cinematic art when compared to Covenant.

I found Covenant less annoying than Prometheus (just finished it). Of course, doing a whole movie around a [spoiler]Lore/Data[/spoiler] episode is lazy, and as an origin story for the two good Alien movies Prometheus/Covenant is best completely ignored [spoiler](since it cheapens and diminishes the whole Alien thing).[/spoiler]

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on December 25, 2019, 08:11:54 AM
Quote from: Caliga on December 24, 2019, 09:24:27 PM
Been rewatching Star Trek:TNG, since I barely remember the early episodes and haven't seen them since.  As a kid, I didn't realize how bad the first season was.... I'm amazed the show didn't get cancelled rewatching them now. :lol:  Almost every episode goes like this: something bad happens, none of the adults know what to do, and Wesley Crusher saves the day. :bleeding:
There hadn't been Star Trek on tv for an entire generation AND there was not much sci-fi on tv AND as bad as it was, it was still better than 90% of the stuff out there :P

Chillax, Wesley Crusher has been insufferable ever since the beginning, not just Season 1 which admittedly was still trying to find its feet. Even the image quality of DVDs was crappy compared to later seasons, a moot point since it was remastered in HD.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Habbaku

Uncut Gems. 10 crippling gambling addictions out of 10.

Also, holy fuck, Julia Fox's ass.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on December 27, 2019, 12:23:20 AM
Uncut Gems. 10 crippling gambling addictions out of 10.

Also, holy fuck, Julia Fox's ass.

Speaking of Star Trek, that goatee Sandler is rocking along with the oscar hype he's been getting makes me fear I've slipped into a terrifying mirror universe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Season 4 of The Expanse feels like a lot of treading water until the tail end of the season, where things begin to get interesting and then ends quite abruptly. Not my favorite, but looking forward season 5.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Liep on December 23, 2019, 03:20:47 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 22, 2019, 06:20:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 22, 2019, 11:04:08 AM
I watched the first episode last night. Not terribly impressed.

And yeah, I really had no idea what was going on, but I just assumed that was intended and it would make sense at some point in the future?

Yeah, the show plays with showing you something and later on give you bits of info to make more sense of it, or add some extra wrinkles to the situation. In particular with the Cintra storyline. But I don't think they are too good at it, the show needs sharper writing.

Second episode is worse than the second imho, but give #3 a chance - I thought that was one of the best in the season. If you don't like that one, you can safely drop the show.

I stopped after the 2nd episode, it somehow felt rushed without really having anything to rush through, maybe it's the editing? I'll try the 3rd.

You should keep going.  It gets quite good.  The first three are confusing but consider it a long prologue to give an anchor in time for later episodes.

The Brain

Blumhouse's Truth or Dare: Extended Director's Cut. Totally OK as these movies go, but there's only one lesbian kiss and no boobs.