News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Watching the new Dark Crystal series with the kid. Holy crap is it dark.  :lol:

I really wonder how they sold this to the execs. I mean, it's a fantasy - with muppets - featuring some really intense not-suitable-for-children scenes (my boy, now a teen, isn't troubled by that of course).

Example: [spoiler]In one scene, one of the bad guys pisses off the other bad guys, who decide to torture him; so they strap him down, tie a cage to his head, and unleash a scorpion like thing into the cage, which eats his eyeball while he screams for mercy. Miss Piggy this ain't. [/spoiler]

It looks absolutely gorgeous, though. Well worth watching just for the set and creature designs. I'm enjoying it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Farscape was sci-fi with muppets. Wouldn't exactly call it a kids' show, either. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2019, 07:53:07 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 21, 2019, 07:28:14 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 21, 2019, 07:19:37 AM
Like half the cast of Band of Brothers, or The Wire? :P

:huh: Sometimes their accents shine through slightly. https://youtu.be/XBL2Wq5YjSw?t=13

Like Blackpoole native John Mahoney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjrLyWlCrP8

Yeah. Even professionals slip up sometimes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I thought the original Dark Crystal was creepy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2019, 11:11:22 AM

I'll have to rewatch it - I saw it decades ago, and don't remember much.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2019, 11:27:53 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 21, 2019, 11:11:22 AM

I'll have to rewatch it - I saw it decades ago, and don't remember much.

I saw it as a kid.  It was indeed dark and creepy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

My parents took me to the cinema to watch it and had to pull me out because I wouldn't stop crying.  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on November 21, 2019, 12:03:54 PM
My parents took me to the cinema to watch it and had to pull me out because I wouldn't stop crying.  :lol:

Oh man - if it is anything like the new series, it is most definitely not for younger children.  :lol:

Reminds me of the infamous "Watership Down" scenario - excellent movie, definitely not for younger children, marketed to them anyway, leading to much trauma. It is awesome how many adults still, to this day, mention being traumatized as children by that movie! 

I suspect it is because 'animation = for kids' in most people's minds, particularly when Watership Down came out. Ditto, obviously, with muppets.

Sheilbh

Yeah. I loved the original but it may not have been wildly age appropriate. Plus if you've seen the film, you know where the series will end up :ph34r:

Loved them both though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Watching the lacquered corpses of children used as puppets always made me feel uncomfortable.  Don't know why, just does.  I'm weird that way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2019, 01:19:25 PMI suspect it is because 'animation = for kids' in most people's minds, particularly when Watership Down came out. Ditto, obviously, with muppets.

Yeah, and even nowadays, when adult animation is not unusual anymore, parents will still try to take kids to movies who are clearly not intended for them just because they're animated.

For instance, I seem to remember that it happened more recently with Seth Rogen and James Franco's "Sausage party", which is pretty obviously filled with adult jokes and sex stuff, and rated R, and just because it's animation parents sitll tried to take kids to watch it.

HVC

there's a bunch of traumatizing kids movies. Hell, most of the Disney movies involve parents dying. The Secret of NIMH messed me up as a kid.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Started watching a three part documentary 'What makes a murderer' looking into the biological, environmental and psychological influence on people who murder.

First up Britain's longest serving murderer, his crime carried out in 1975.

"So John you have this label of a murder, how does that feel for you?"

Murderer "I'm quite resentful of that label ...... "

At this point I feel I should turn it off, but I shall persevere.

I'm guessing the notion of human choice isn't going to figure large in the investigation.

Have an hour in, the brain expert says:

"So it's the genes that load the gun and the enviroment that pulls the trigger."

I think I'll give up now.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

The category is greatest motivational pimp speech ever.  The winner is father Boleyn to Anne in the falconry in The Tudors.

viper37

The Blacklist has gone full retard with last week's episode.  So sad they had to bring rightwing religious nuttyness into this :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.