News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 12, 2019, 10:15:39 PM
Skins.  A gang of English school kids, including Samwell Tarly's squeeze, engage in numerous shenanigans.

They're attending a college.  What exactly does that mean?

Probably post mandatory schooling, 16-18 years, either a 6th form college (often gateway to undergraduate study at a uni) or a vocational college.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Skins! :o

Haven't rewatched in years but that was set in the town I went to uni in and was screening while I was there. It was weirdly popular for us. Also any time you went out you'd see one of the cast in the pub :lol:

And yeah they're in Sixth Form College (16-18).
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Are 16 year olds allowed in the pub?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 13, 2019, 06:44:23 AM
Are 16 year olds allowed in the pub?

Yes, though it can vary.

https://www.gov.uk/alcohol-young-people-law

QuoteHowever, if you're 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, you can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal.

If you're 16 or under, you may be able to go to a pub (or premises primarily used to sell alcohol) if you're accompanied by an adult. However, this isn't always the case. It can also depend on the specific conditions for that premises.

It's illegal to give alcohol to children under 5.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, looks like most of the cast was around 18 when filming first series.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yeah. They were about the same age as us, just far more glamorous and successful.

Also, in old man grumbles, now pubs are quite strict on ID. But in the early/mid-2000s you could go into a pub and drink if you were a mature enough 14 year old.

The landlady at my local as a teenager used to always say "eighteen again?!" every year when I, inevitably went there for a birthday drink :lol:

On my actual eighteenth they got me a little cake from sainsbury's.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Finished the second season of Babylon Berlin. The British charge at Verdun was a stirring moment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on November 13, 2019, 02:50:26 PM
Finished the second season of Babylon Berlin. The British charge at Verdun was a stirring moment.

I've just started the second season - I'm enjoying it so far.

No mention of Winston Churchill's stint as a Berlin detective yet, though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

So, I want to start watching the Simpsons with my boys, but I'm trying to figure out where to start.

One possibility of course is to start right at the beginning.  Start with the pilot.  There are some decent episodes there (like where Bart is sent to France, or the Simpsons buy an RV), but not the best.  It has the advantage though of setting up a lot of the characters - it's the first introduction to Sideshow Bob for example.

I think the other possibility would be to start at season 3.  Now we start hitting some absolute classics.  Season starts with the Michael Jackson episode, the one where they help Krusty reunite with his father, Flaming Moe's, the baseball episode...

The thing is these are kids, the youngest is six.  It's still easy for them to lose interest, and they're already going to miss a lot of pop culture context (starting with: who is Michael Jackson?).  But completeness counts too.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Not the very first crap IMHO. Start where it's hitting its stride.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 03:11:21 PM
So, I want to start watching the Simpsons with my boys, but I'm trying to figure out where to start.

One possibility of course is to start right at the beginning.  Start with the pilot.  There are some decent episodes there (like where Bart is sent to France, or the Simpsons buy an RV), but not the best.  It has the advantage though of setting up a lot of the characters - it's the first introduction to Sideshow Bob for example.

I think the other possibility would be to start at season 3.  Now we start hitting some absolute classics.  Season starts with the Michael Jackson episode, the one where they help Krusty reunite with his father, Flaming Moe's, the baseball episode...

The thing is these are kids, the youngest is six.  It's still easy for them to lose interest, and they're already going to miss a lot of pop culture context (starting with: who is Michael Jackson?).  But completeness counts too.

Isn't the pilot the Santa's Little Helper episode? I think that one is great.

Pick and choose from the first season. Take the great ones and skip the duds I say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2019, 03:22:14 PM

Pick and choose from the first season. Take the great ones and skip the duds I say.

Yup, pilot is the Christmas episode.  I mean it's fine, but I never thought it was great.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2019, 03:24:02 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 13, 2019, 03:22:14 PM

Yup, pilot is the Christmas episode.  I mean it's fine, but I never thought it was great.

Ah well..to each his own then. Still I say pick the best episodes from the first two seasons. I mean the show became an international hit right out of the gate for a reason.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

The show doesn't really find itself until midway through Season 2.  I think there was a point during Season 2 were the writers said to themselves "Hey, this all animated right?  Why can do stuff that a live-action show can't.  Let's go for something really wild."  So they made the Halloween episode, discovered that there was a market for really surreal comedy and went in that direction.  I'd start at Season 3, that's the show everyone in the 1990's actually remembers.  I bought up seasons 3-8 last year on Amazon.  It stops being consistently great after season 5 but is still pretty good.  Then there is the fake Skinner episode in season 9 where I lost interest.  Admittedly, Season 9 was while I was in High School and I had shit to do that didn't involve watching cartoons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on November 13, 2019, 02:50:26 PM

Wait, that's out? Ugh, I'm so far behind.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien