News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Or possibly, we are a bunch of oldsters nostalgically clinging to the joy of movies we ourselves watched as kids, while finding kid's movies these days childish.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2019, 10:44:15 AM
Or possibly, we are a bunch of oldsters nostalgically clinging to the joy of movies we ourselves watched as kids, while finding kid's movies these days childish.  :D

I don't find the modern films particularly kid friendly or childish, they are clearly made for adults and have loads of adult themes. They just suck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

I think we just have some haters who enjoy complaining about the new ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 28, 2019, 11:25:28 AM
I think we just have some haters who enjoy complaining about the new ones.

Surely there are more interesting topics?

But this is kind of a wasteland for me as far as culture goes these days. I have zero interest in super heroes and only slightly more interest in seeing movies I have already seen remade. So maybe there aren't :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2019, 11:28:18 AM
Surely there are more interesting topics?

But this is kind of a wasteland for me as far as culture goes these days. I have zero interest in super heroes and only slightly more interest in seeing movies I have already seen remade. So maybe there aren't :P

I think TV shows have way more life in them these days than movies. I can think of more TV series that I have really enjoyed than movies recently.

I think movies are kinda trapped - they have to be either big budget spectacles or some niche Indie thing, or people won't bother with the effort (and expense) of going to see a movie.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2019, 11:10:26 AM

I don't find the modern films particularly kid friendly or childish, they are clearly made for adults and have loads of adult themes. They just suck.

Yes, but quite possibly the first three sucked as well. But we were kids and lapped it up, and now see them through kid-tinted glasses
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on August 28, 2019, 12:34:21 PM

Yes, but quite possibly the first three sucked as well. But we were kids and lapped it up, and now see them through kid-tinted glasses

Well the third one wasn't that great. It had its moments though. As a kid I found the Empire Strikes Back very scary and upsetting.

Besides it is not like I still like every single movie I liked as a kid. I am not that brainwashed.

Syt

Final trailer for Joker, in which Joaquin Phoenix plays The Joker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY

This actually looks interesting. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

De Niro is in it, so, remake of king of Comedy then? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Apocalypse Now (Final Cut)

I say it's a new record, 20 € (!) a ticket for the Dolby Cinema screening in Paris Centre. With a pass/flat rate "only" 5 €.
As for the recut, I don't recall many differences from the 2001 Redux but
[spoiler]the second playmate scene is gone but the French planters are still there.[/spoiler].

Has to be seen on the biggest screen you can find. :)

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 29, 2019, 05:11:30 AM
Has to be seen on the biggest screen you can find. :)
I don't think I ever saw the original one.  I'm always waiting for a better version :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

I'm stalled out on Stranger Things.  The sequence with the Goth Punk Gang led by the Indian chick with the waxed mustache is boring me.

So watching Rectify.  Very good.  The sister is delightful.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2019, 05:23:31 PM
I'm stalled out on Stranger Things.  The sequence with the Goth Punk Gang led by the Indian chick with the waxed mustache is boring me.

She's Danish apparently and yeah that's the low point of season 2, but fortunately those scenes don't matter and you can skip the whole episode.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

It's good, but depressing as hell.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?