TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 07:22:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2019, 10:34:20 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 26, 2019, 10:14:39 AM
so shes evil now?

Actually that would be a cool idea.  Of course, judging by the reaction to the end of Game of Thrones, it would go over like lead balloon.

Yeah, and then millennials will demand a remake. ...and knowing Disney they will do one.

How long will it be before technology enables everyone to have their own Star Wars plots? Just make it a 'choose your own adventure' thing.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 07:28:27 AM
so shes evil now?

Actually that would be a cool idea.  Of course, judging by the reaction to the end of Game of Thrones, it would go over like lead balloon.

Yeah, and then millennials will demand a remake. ...and knowing Disney they will do one.

How long will it be before technology enables everyone to have their own Star Wars plots? Just make it a 'choose your own adventure' thing.  :D

"You see Greedo in a bar in Tattoine. Do you: Shoot first? Wait for him to shoot first?"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 07:28:27 AM
so shes evil now?

With the rise in deep fakes and stuff like Tarkin in Rogue One....It does seem we are heading closer to that direction.
The main stopping point in branching paths in movies and games is it means a lot of effort goes into making stuff nobody will ever see.
Maybe one conventionally filmed path is marked as the prime path but otherwise you just have the leads licensing their likeness and then have a bunch of cheapo actors who will be digitally edited act out a variety of other paths.
A good time to be a writer?
██████
██████
██████

Liep

I'm no writer but it seems to me more complex stories won't make it better. But maybe you're right, in 10 years we'll look back at the novelty of just having a handful of writers per script and in 50 years that we actually had humans writing.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

The convergence of movies and video games is probably inevitable.

Combine that with the new phenomenon of people watching others playing video games on youtube - and instead of writers and directors, a collaboration between game makers and professional players.

... the game makers would provide the basic plot and mechanics, and the players act out the action; with numerous hacks and mods, some authorized, some not (and no doubt with "Rule 34" adaptations).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 26, 2019, 08:50:11 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 26, 2019, 03:34:47 PM
Tbh that double-edged lightsaber looks clunky and gimmicky even for Star Wars' lax lightsaber standards.

The trailer looked fine but at that point I laughed out loud.

https://i.imgur.com/3c8uNCz.mp4

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 27, 2019, 04:00:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/3c8uNCz.mp4

That is amazing work. If only we could harness the power of the internet for good :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Did we ever find out who Rey actually is? Does anyone care?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2019, 10:10:57 PM
Did we ever find out who Rey actually is?
No, not really.

QuoteDoes anyone care?
No, not really.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

I spose we'll find out in the next film, she's a Skywalker? I don't really care.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 28, 2019, 06:47:18 AM
I spose we'll find out in the next film, she's a Skywalker? I don't really care.

Yeah, the storyline is less than compelling at this point.

Eddie Teach

We sure talk about Star Wars a lot for people who no longer care. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

I think all of us care about Star Wars. Just not necessarily about this particular character within the storyline. Rey is really boring and underwritten at this point, though it's possible the third film rescues her.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Or, we care about the original trilogy, are unhappy with what's been done with the franchise since, and will take note of what's going on even if we don't have much interest in characters introduced since.