News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I do not hate superhero movies per se, I just wish they didn't dominate the action/blockbuster segment so much and we got some more different stuff. But it's the market dictating that, so not much hope until people begin tiring of them (which hasn't happened in 10 years of saturation)

celedhring

I kinda miss Ide jumping in every time somebody criticized superhero flicks.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on April 03, 2019, 11:52:30 AM
I do not hate superhero movies per se, I just wish they didn't dominate the action/blockbuster segment so much and we got some more different stuff. But it's the market dictating that, so not much hope until people begin tiring of them (which hasn't happened in 10 years of saturation)

Very much this - superhero movies are okay, but a constant parade of them has become tiresome. Not that it will end any time soon, too much cash to be made ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: celedhring on April 03, 2019, 11:52:30 AM

The market?
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2019, 12:23:41 PM
Very much this - superhero movies are okay, but a constant parade of them has become tiresome. Not that it will end any time soon, too much cash to be made ...

The problem isn't that there is "too much cash to be made," it is that money, as always, is a coward.  Money sees the 30th consecutive superhero movie as less risky than the first of any other kind of movie.  There's lots of writers, directors, and producers out there with visions of non-superhero big-budget movies, but the money doesn't want to risk the bet that people will go to non-superhero movies.  And the money decides what movie gets made, just like it always has. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

The international market. Anything they make now has to appeal broadly across dozens of cultural lines. Superhero films do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2019, 12:30:34 PM

The problem isn't that there is "too much cash to be made," it is that money, as always, is a coward.  Money sees the 30th consecutive superhero movie as less risky than the first of any other kind of movie.  There's lots of writers, directors, and producers out there with visions of non-superhero big-budget movies, but the money doesn't want to risk the bet that people will go to non-superhero movies.  And the money decides what movie gets made, just like it always has.

That sounds about right to me.

Point is the money and I have a dispute about making movies entertaining to me, one I'm currently losing.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2019, 12:32:30 PM
The international market. Anything they make now has to appeal broadly across dozens of cultural lines. Superhero films do that.

Only because of relentless marketing, and a constant presence of American pop culture. Heroism may have broad cultural appeal, but it takes many form - and the American Superhero is not some kind of cultural universal. As China continues to pour tremendous resources in the production of their own heroic tales, we may find that the teenage angst that dominates so much of American superhero movies may recede in favor of other moral/political messages.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Ok and when that happens we can talk about it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2019, 12:34:36 PM

Point is the money and I have a dispute about making movies entertaining to me, one I'm currently losing.  :D

Oh, me, too.  But it's not like non-superhero movies like The Hateful Eight rescued us from that.  Of last year's "best movies" only Darkest Hour was time really well-spent, IMO.  And that wasn't a big-budget film.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

The last Marvel movie I watched was Age of Ultron which was trying to cram a bit too much into its runtime for my liking.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2019, 12:41:43 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2019, 12:34:36 PM

Oh, me, too.  But it's not like non-superhero movies like The Hateful Eight rescued us from that.  Of last year's "best movies" only Darkest Hour was time really well-spent, IMO.  And that wasn't a big-budget film.

For a long time now, TV seems to have been the better entertainment bet. Of course there is lots of garbage on TV (Sturgeon's Law), but there is good stuff as well. My particular interest, Western animation, has fared well over the past decade or so.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on April 03, 2019, 12:30:34 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 03, 2019, 12:23:41 PM

That's a big part of it but it's also a self-reinforcing process. Because content based on established IP is a safer bet, it increases the value of the underlying IP.  If you are Mouse Corporation and you've spent billions acquiring that IP, then then it becomes a corporate priority to make those assets earn their keep.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

I'm just not into superhero movies; if I want a superhero story, I'd rather read a comic book.  I haven't seen a superhero movie since Batman and Robin, and of the newer Marvel or DC films, the only ones I'm even somewhat interested in seeing are the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

The Larch

Back when they started coming out I'd watch every single Marvel movie that hit the theaters, but nowadays it's much more pick and choose, and I've skipped a lot of them. I believe the last one I watched was Thor: Ragnarok, and Dr. Strange before that. I have not seen either Age of Ultron or Civil War or Infinity War, and to be honest I'm kinda tired of the big massive ones, I find the smaller ones way more interesting.