And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 30, 2017, 06:50:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2017, 05:17:28 PM

Fight scenes were ok, shades of The Wild Bunch during the climax, including the massive body count and a gatling gun.

I am sure paying tribute to the Wild Bunch was done before though.  :P e.g Extreme Prejudice (1987). Arguably, any action movie.

I miss Walter Hill.

Savonarola

I saw a Chilean television program called "Rojo" which is supposed to be a backstage drama centered around their version of American Idol (featuring some of the actual contestants on the show.)  It's the sort of show where every plot point, including attempted gang rape, is punctuated by a song (the song is by the would be victim and her karate boyfriend savior, not the would be perpetrators.  That might have been a little too edgy.)  Apparently no parent in Chile is supportive of their children's musical ambition; and all mother-daughter conflicts can be resolved by slapping the daughter.  Still TV Chile is nowhere near as wacky as TV Mexico
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2017, 12:26:10 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 30, 2017, 06:50:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2017, 05:17:28 PM

Fight scenes were ok, shades of The Wild Bunch during the climax, including the massive body count and a gatling gun.

I am sure paying tribute to the Wild Bunch was done before though.  :P e.g Extreme Prejudice (1987). Arguably, any action movie.

I miss Walter Hill.

Did you watch A Bullet in the Head? If so, how was it?  :P

celedhring

It wasn't good, but it indeed had flashes of Hill's good films. I enjoyed it more than Last Man Standing for example.

11B4V

Starting a fourth run through of Breaking Bad
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Maybe this time Walt gets away with it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2017, 02:01:12 PM
It wasn't good, but it indeed had flashes of Hill's good films. I enjoyed it more than Last Man Standing for example.

:face:

That bad? Last Man Standing, a poor man's John Woo tribute based on a needless remake or is it overly critical?

CountDeMoney

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 03, 2017, 10:31:30 AM

That bad? Last Man Standing, a poor man's John Woo tribute based on a needless remake or is it overly critical?

Last Man Standing was terrible and morose, but A Bullet In The Head had a semblance of trashy playfulness to it. Not a good film, but entertaining if you dug Hill's past work.

viper37

I'm searching for that and all I see is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Man_Standing_(U.S._TV_series)

Wouldn't it be "Last stand" with Arnold instead?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Stand_(2013_film)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2017, 11:45:43 AM

I'm searching for that and all I see is this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Man_Standing_(U.S._TV_series)

Wouldn't it be "Last stand" with Arnold instead?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Stand_(2013_film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116830/

Savonarola

The Five Obstructions (2003)

Danish film in which Lars Von Trier challenges Jorgen Leth to remake his film The Perfect Human (warning, links to art film from the 60s) five different times with different "Obstructions" placed on the film each time.  The film is nowhere near as dreadful as the premise would suggest; some of the Jorgen's solutions to the obstructions are quite clever.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Savonarola on July 03, 2017, 02:22:19 PM
The Five Obstructions (2003)

Danish film in which Lars Von Trier challenges Jorgen Leth to remake his film The Perfect Human (warning, links to art film from the 60s) five different times with different "Obstructions" placed on the film each time.  The film is nowhere near as dreadful as the premise would suggest; some of the Jorgen's solutions to the obstructions are quite clever.

It's a favorite exercise in film schools. Loeth was Von Trier's teacher so I always thought there was a bit of good-humored sadism in the film - as opposed to Von Trier's usual non-good-humored sadism.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: celedhring on July 03, 2017, 06:03:50 PM
Von Trier's usual non-good-humored sadism.

It insists upon itself.

Eddie Teach

I kinda like von triers films. There's something wrong with me.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?