News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

The Big Country. Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston get in a fist fight over Pecks girl. Peck finds a better one. Also, ranchers feuding over water. Pretty good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 28, 2017, 11:28:28 PM
Ben Hur the remake.  It would have been a lot better if they had kept to the script.

Jesus probably thought the same.

Drakken

Seems Bavaria Film and Sky are really, really serious about making a remake sequel to Das Boot. They have presented who the cast members will be, a few days ago.

My question is: Why?!? :bleeding:

https://www.dwdl.de/nachrichten/62124/sky_und_bavaria_stellen_cast_der_serie_das_boot_vor/

QuoteRupert Murdoch's German pay-TV platform Sky Deutschland and German production house Bavaria Film have greenlit a 25-million-euro ($28.3-million) TV version of "Das Boot," the hit 1981 movie about a German U-boat in World War II.
The eight-hour series is based on Lothar-Günther Buchheim's novels "Das Boot" ("The Boat") and "Die Festung" ("The Fortress"), which have been adapted by a writing team led by Tony Saint ("Margaret Thatcher: The Long Walk to Finchley," "The Interceptor") and Johannes W. Betz ("The Tunnel," "The Spiegel Affair"). The series will act as a sequel to the film, picking up from events at the end of the pic.

The TV drama primarily focuses on the German perspective of events, but also includes the experiences of French Resistance and Allied forces in the war. Running through all the action is Buchheim's central theme: the blind fanaticism that drives young men into a senseless war.

Christian Franckenstein, CEO of Bavaria Film, said in a statement: "Today, more than ever before, anti-war stories need to be told. The notions of war and terror are ubiquitous. The misguided actions of young men driven to commit acts of terror by false ideologies are obvious."

Franckenstein added: "The 1981 film 'Das Boot' is unique, and we are approaching our work with the greatest of respect for this masterpiece. We want to build on the strong brand of 'Das Boot' and continue telling the story in a contemporary manner by making use of every filmmaking and storytelling technique available to us today."

The series is expected to begin airing in 2018 across all the Sky territories: Germany, Austria, U.K., Ireland and Italy.

Oliver Vogel ("Dengler," "SOKO Stuttgart," "Dr. Klein") and Moritz Polter ("Spotless," "Crossing Lines") are executive-producing for Bavaria Film. Marcus Ammon and Frank Jastfelder will oversee the production for Sky.

Carsten Schmidt, CEO of Sky Deutschland, said: "With 'Das Boot — the Series,' we have once again found a subjectmatter that fits Sky perfectly and will excite our customers... [It] is the next step into the field of original fictional productions at Sky, and others will follow. Sky... continues its transformation into an entertainment brand for the entire family."

viper37

Quote from: Drakken on June 29, 2017, 12:39:44 AM
My question is: Why?!? :bleeding:
because U-571 wasn't as good but still made money?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Lion - based on a true story of an Indian kid named Saroo who gets lost, ends up adopted by some Australians and then 20 years later uses Google Earth to track down his home.
It's alright. Though would be a bit better if this story wasn't so well known. The bits with adult Saroo drag a lot.
The changes they made from the true story are interesting. 
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

My hometown appears featured in Das Boot.  ^_^

Savonarola

Quote from: frunk on June 28, 2017, 02:51:28 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 28, 2017, 02:47:55 PM
Baby Driver (2017)

The plot reads like a cliche; (driver for a criminal organization pays off his debt, finds a girl, wants to get out but they pull back him in for another heist), but somehow Edgar Wright managed to craft one seriously cool movie out of that.  The chase scenes are incredible, the soundtrack is amazing, the dialogue is snappy and the supporting cast is great.  The only thing that really doesn't work in the film is that the relationship between the driver and the girl isn't believable (in fact the relationship between the driver and the crime lord (Kevin Spacey) is far more intriguing); that causes problems when they try to do the whole "Lovers on the run" at the end of the film.

I'm excited for the movie.  Apparently the whole movie was storyboarded to the soundtrack, so that when they were shooting they would check with the editor and see if the timing of the action/dialogue matched the music.

I didn't know that, but now that you say that I can see they made a joke about that during the film.  At one point the driver makes them wait for a second to start the heist so he can restart his song.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

Broadchurch last season has started.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I've never seen The Boat.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

It's one of those flicks people completely lather themselves up over, but you really only need to just see it once.

Savonarola

Another car chase film with an awesome soundtrack was at the local theater this week:

The Blues Brothers :cool: (1980)

James Brown really missed his calling.

It was definitely worth seeing on the big screen, the musical numbers and the zillion car pile-ups come across a lot better in that format.  The audience was really into it too; which helps.  I thought it was funny that, of all the musical acts in the show, only Cab Calloway got his start in Chicago (and would become more associated with New York City than Chicago.)  Aretha Franklin and John Lee Hooker are from Detroit, James Brown is from Georgia and Ray Charles :cool: is from Florida, (but really took off in Seattle.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2017, 01:57:59 PM
Another car chase film
that much is true.  The "awesome soundtrack" though...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.