And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2014, 10:23:23 AM
This is a very solid list of the 10 most overrated films:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10767345/10-most-overrated-films-of-all-time.html

Even though I won't argue any of the films listed (thrice I have tried and failed to finish The Double Life of Veronique), I think that calling them "the 10 most overrated films of all time", is overrating their overratedness.

Grey Fox

Except Skyfall. Skyfall is awesome action.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Surely Star Wars should be on any such list.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on April 21, 2014, 10:44:17 AM

Hardly. Even if one thinks the films aren't that good themselves, they are some of the most influential films of all time.

Actually I think Star Wars suffers from the "Seinfeld isn't that funny anymore" syndrome, where they have been copied and imitated so much that they don't look as groundbreaking as they were when they came out.

Grey Fox

But that's the thing with the Original Trilogy Star Wars, they are bad movies that are groundbreaking.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2014, 10:41:38 AM
Even though I won't argue any of the films listed (thrice I have tried and failed to finish The Double Life of Veronique), I think that calling them "the 10 most overrated films of all time", is overrating their overratedness.
Such is the internet :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on April 21, 2014, 10:48:00 AM
Quote from: The Brain on April 21, 2014, 10:44:17 AM

Hardly. Even if one thinks the films aren't that good themselves, they are some of the most influential films of all time.

Actually I think Star Wars suffers from the "Seinfeld isn't that funny anymore" syndrome, where they have been copied and imitated so much that they don't look as groundbreaking as they were when they came out.

Hitler was great for Jews because he had a huge influence on them? OK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2014, 02:19:31 AM
Do you think in three hundred years there'll be movies and TV shows about a cabal of telegenic Jews who control international finance?
Anything's possible :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 21, 2014, 10:23:23 AM
This is a very solid list of the 10 most overrated films:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/10767345/10-most-overrated-films-of-all-time.html

I like the recommendation to see "Fat City" for a boxing movie. :)  I saw it quite a while ago, but I remember it being very good -- John Huston directing, Stacy Keach and a very young Jeff Bridges (and the under-used Susan Tyrell) playing the leads.  It's a good book, too.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2014, 10:43:37 AM
Except Skyfall. Skyfall is awesome action.

QuoteBut that's the thing with the Original Trilogy Star Wars, they are bad movies that are groundbreaking.

:bash:

Skyfall was the one the guy got right. Well, that and Million Dollar Baby.

Inception and The Departed were both good movies. While it's still possible for a good movie to be ridiculously overrated(see Shawshank Redemption) neither of them have that great a rep.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I wouldn't say that Star Wars is bad but it if causes idiots to dress up in shiny white plastic it must be overrated.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2014, 02:06:54 PM
I wouldn't say that Star Wars is bad but it if causes idiots to dress up in shiny white plastic it must be overrated.

Anything halfway decent causes goofballs to dress up in costumes nowadays.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

It's neat, but I think there's a good case for Videodrome being overrated.  It's certainly a step down from Scanners.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)