News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Was it Churchill who described the USSR as a [spoiler]bird's egg inside a woman's corpse, wrapped up in a dead horse?[/spoiler]

Actually, that kinda sounds like Koschei the Deathless's soul's hiding place.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2014, 09:16:23 PM
Of interest to me, and potentially my mother, the BBC have done a deal with Agatha Christie's estate for exclusive rights to do adaptations :o

Now what the fuck will Brangelina and Madonna do? :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 18, 2014, 10:49:07 PM
Was it Churchill who described the USSR as a [spoiler]bird's egg inside a woman's corpse, wrapped up in a dead horse?[/spoiler]

Actually, that kinda sounds like Koschei the Deathless's soul's hiding place.  :hmm:

Holy shit. One of the most intense episodes of television I've ever seen. Anytime Hannibal and Will are in the same scene is just perfect.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on April 19, 2014, 07:48:08 AM

Holy shit. One of the most intense episodes of television I've ever seen. Anytime Hannibal and Will are in the same scene is just perfect.

/imperceptibly tiny smile
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

So i saw Full Metal Jacket. Probably the third time I've seen it, though I likely haven't seen it in 15 years. It has aged well. I think this was my favourite viewing. 15 years is also a nice time between viewings, I remembered just enough, but forgot lots. For instance I knew Private Pile offed himself, but forgot he took Drill Sergeant with him. Drill Sergeant is so fucking amazing. "happy birthday dear Jesus."  I remembered loving the first half and thinking second half was just OK. But yesterday I really enjoyed the second half as well. Very intense. I think this is now my favourite Vietnam movie and has climbed a notch or two in my all time Kubrick which now goes like this:

Spartacus: C (over long and big boring bit in middle)
Dr. Strangelove C +(Great acting from Sellers, but overall never did much for me)
Barry Lyndon C +(watched this one twice...some good bits, great settings, wonderful cinematography. Not much else)
Paths of Glory B (good story...little replayability)
Lolita B (Shelly Winters saves this one)
Eyes Wide Shut B (Over rated somewhat this one)
The Shining B+ (Despite not staying through to the novel and Jack Nicholson was brilliant)
A Clockwork Orange B +(love the ultra violence. McDowell was the saviour here. Great cult film)
Full Metal Jacket A (Wonderful anti-war sentiment. Brillantly executed. Solid acting from all especially Drill Sergeant, Joker and Pile
2001 A+ (Despite the trippy ending this one remains my all time fave)

I notice a few things common to almost all his films. Though Kubrick is known mostly for his visually stunning films, you can't help but notice the solid leads in several of his films. Winters in Lolita, Nicholson in Shining, McDowell in Clockwork, the Drill Sergeant in FMJ.Sellers on both Strangelove and Lolita

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

C+ for Strangelove?  That's crazy talk.

Syt

R. Lee Ermey used to be a drill sergeant. He was originally hired as consultant for FMJ, but Kubrick liked the dialogue he came up with so much that he let him write his own lines for the most part. Which says a lot, considering what a perfectionist and micromanager Kubrick was.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 19, 2014, 01:17:26 PM
C+ for Strangelove?  That's crazy talk.

Comedies are never gonna please everybody.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Also I thought Eyes Wide Shut was widely panned.
Let's bomb Russia!

LaCroix

so, no languish commentary on bryan singer? the news has been out for a few days now

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on April 19, 2014, 01:21:46 PM
R. Lee Ermey used to be a drill sergeant. He was originally hired as consultant for FMJ, but Kubrick liked the dialogue he came up with so much that he let him write his own lines for the most part. Which says a lot, considering what a perfectionist and micromanager Kubrick was.
Yeah saw that on the special features.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2014, 01:34:07 PM

it may have been. Don't remember. But there was a lot of hype about it, Cruise and Kidman and all that.

Also Strangelove may deserve better, but they are all relative scores to each other and not to the film world in general
Civis Romanus Sum

Queequeg

Quote from: Liep on April 19, 2014, 07:48:08 AM

This season just fucking delivers on every level.  It's a fucking masterwork. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quo Vadis?

Only reason to watch is Peter Ustinov ham it up as Nero. Otherwise, boring. The dude that plays Marcus is a major stiff.

A for Peter Ustinov
C for the movie itself
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on April 19, 2014, 05:22:46 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 19, 2014, 01:34:07 PM

it may have been. Don't remember. But there was a lot of hype about it, Cruise and Kidman and all that.

Also Strangelove may deserve better, but they are all relative scores to each other and not to the film world in general

Aye, the hype was very big, which made the backlash even bigger. It's a pretty meh film, bar the masked ball scene.

Strangelove is a great film. I've always loved the genius move of taking a "serious" cold war novel and seeing a satire in it.