News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Especially since Gadaffi had pretty much been neutralized.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

I get the appeal of trolling with homophobia because of Martinus, but considering that a number of the most respected posters here (Sheilbh, formerly Top Cat) are at the very least somewhere on that spectrum, it still seems a bit dickish.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

I like Sheilbh, I just wouldn't trust him with state secrets or elect him to public office.  Although that also might be because he's farther to the left than I am and because I know that he doesn't have proper attitude towards the public.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Mr.Penguin

And Gaddafi's son Khamis Gaddafi has yet again been declared dead by the rebels. It's the 5th time they declare him dead, this time is he said to have been in an armoured Toyota Land Cruiser hit by a missile apparently launched from a Nato Apache helicopter. Last was it that he had burn to dead after his Toyota had been hit by a RPG-7 round...

He must resemble something like a very crispy burned zombie by now... 
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on August 29, 2011, 09:54:17 PM
I get the appeal of trolling with homophobia because of Martinus, but considering that a number of the most respected posters here (Sheilbh, formerly Top Cat) are at the very least somewhere on that spectrum, it still seems a bit dickish.

Man up. They are big boys and can take it. Christ. You'll start crying next.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on August 30, 2011, 12:49:19 AM
And Gaddafi's son Khamis Gaddafi has yet again been declared dead by the rebels. It's the 5th time they declare him dead, this time is he said to have been in an armoured Toyota Land Cruiser hit by a missile apparently launched from a Nato Apache helicopter. Last was it that he had burn to dead after his Toyota had been hit by a RPG-7 round...

He must resemble something like a very crispy burned zombie by now...
He just has a very good priest in his group. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

But Neil is definitely somewhere on the "a bit dickish" spectrum, so that works out ok.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

It's not trolling when you really hate fags.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

V: L Day! :)

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/09/scenes-new-libyan-leaders-triumphant-tripoli-speech/42383/

QuoteScenes from the New Libyan Leader's Triumphant Tripoli Speech
Uri Friedman Sep 12, 2011 46 Views Comment

In an emotional scene in Tripoli this evening, the head of Libya's National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdel-Jalil, addressed a celebratory rally in Martyrs' Square (known as Green Square during the Qaddafi era). Jalil, a former justice minister who defected to the rebels early on in the uprising, arrived in Tripoli on Saturday after months of orchestrating the revolt against Muammar Qaddafi from Benghazi in the east. According to a live translation by NPR's Ahmed Al Omran, Jalil called for national unity, promised to provide basic services, the rule of law, and democratic institutions, and rejected retribution and Islamic extremism. Here he is in the middle of the picture below, raising his hands in victory:

The crowd was equally exuberant:

And there were fireworks:

Al Jazeera also has video of Jalil's red-carpet welcome at Tripoli's Metiga Airport on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8GQwCuhDFA

But despite the euphoria, Libya's new leaders still face significant obstacles. Muammar Qaddafi is still at large and his loyalists are continuing to put up resistance in Bani Walid, Sirte, and Sabha. The AP adds that Islamic conservatives are currently vying for power with more secular technocrats, as Jalil,  the "sole figure in the leadership who enjoys almost universal support," remains stuck in the middle. The AP explains that the secular camp is headed by Mahmoud Jibril, the U.S.-educated acting prime minister who served briefly in the Qaddafi regime and spent a lot of time overseas meeting with foreign leaders during the civil war. The Islamists hail from groups like the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group and Muslim Brotherhood, which were oppressed under Qaddafi. The faction, whose most prominent member is Tripoli military council commander Abdel-Hakim Belhaj, controls the main military force in Tripoli and is calling for Jibril's resignation. Still, the AP adds that "the disputes for now appear to be primarily over personnel, and not deeply rooted in ideology."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Apparently Jalil's a remarkable speaker by Arab leader standards, especially in comparison to Gadaffi.  He apparently uses quite short, succinct sentences, isn't terribly patronising and generally finishes in under 2 hours.

I read a profile of him and he's an interesting and pretty impressive guy.  I think that was in WSJ but I can't remember.
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2011, 08:11:01 AM
Apparently Jalil's a remarkable speaker by Arab leader standards, especially in comparison to Gadaffi.  He apparently uses quite short, succinct sentences, isn't terribly patronising and generally finishes in under 2 hours.

I read a profile of him and he's an interesting and pretty impressive guy.  I think that was in WSJ but I can't remember.

You mean the days of Libya's turn at the mic resulting in long, rambling anti-semitic speeches where the mic needs to be cut are over?  The UN just got so much less interesting. :weep:
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 13, 2011, 09:48:10 AMYou mean the days of Libya's turn at the mic resulting in long, rambling anti-semitic speeches where the mic needs to be cut are over?  The UN just got so much less interesting. :weep:
Indeed.  Now we'll never know who shot JFK :(

Edit:  And to give Gadaffi credit he wasn't simply anti-semitic.  His Isratine suggestion is still one of the most creative peace proposals the Mid-East's ever seen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

Thank you France and the UK for not being a bunch of pussies and refusing to support change in a dictatorship.

And thanks to Canada as well for their normal token contribution. :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

What is it with Arabs and shooting fireworks into the air on festive occasions?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2011, 09:58:22 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 13, 2011, 09:48:10 AMYou mean the days of Libya's turn at the mic resulting in long, rambling anti-semitic speeches where the mic needs to be cut are over?  The UN just got so much less interesting. :weep:
Indeed.  Now we'll never know who shot JFK :(

Edit:  And to give Gadaffi credit he wasn't simply anti-semitic.  His Isratine suggestion is still one of the most creative peace proposals the Mid-East's ever seen.

A jewish homeland in Alsace-Moselle instead of Palestine is sure creative  :lol: