News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I love the double speak of "we won't provide weapons, but we will provide body armor and commo..." as if that wasn't just as important as a gun to a military force.

edit: And of course, we will also bomb the shit out of your enemies as well.

BUT WE WONT GIVE YOU WEAPONS, WHY, THAT WOULD BE INTERFERING!!!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

If you bomb a man's enemies for him, you help him for a day, but if you teach him to bomb his enemies--oh, wait, we can't do that, it would be interfering.  :lol:

KRonn

"The EU, meanwhile, said it could deploy an armed force to Libya within days to ensure the delivery of humanitarian supplies, said Michael Mann, a spokesman for EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton.

Mann said a "concept of operations" has been approved by the European Union's 27 countries, outlining various possible courses of action. But Mann said the details of the operation, including how many people and what equipment would be needed, would await the specifics of any U.N. request.

The EU has no standing army, and the personnel and equipment would have be donated by member countries."

Seems like decision making by committee. How well will, or does this, work? Especially for a military action it would seem to be quite problematic. Or is there a more streamlined leadership in place for the actual tasks being undertaken? However, I do commend the EU for taking the actions.

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on April 19, 2011, 12:24:58 PM
I love the double speak of "we won't provide weapons, but we will provide body armor and commo..." as if that wasn't just as important as a gun to a military force.

edit: And of course, we will also bomb the shit out of your enemies as well.

BUT WE WONT GIVE YOU WEAPONS, WHY, THAT WOULD BE INTERFERING!!!
Hmm... I still say that NATO/US or other ground forces will be intervening, rather than letting Gaddafi survive from this. His regime surviving might be the most dangerous, as he plots revenge by sponsoring terrorists. Plus him surviving in the face of the UN and NATO would be seen as a loss for them all, likely emboldening other tyrants in the future.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on April 19, 2011, 12:51:47 PM
Advisors, eh? :hmm:

My demand is that they get as good music from the Libya War as we got from the Vietnam war. Iraq and Afghanistan only gave us country music.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Norgy

Quote from: dps on April 19, 2011, 12:29:56 PM
If you bomb a man's enemies for him, you help him for a day, but if you teach him to bomb his enemies--oh, wait, we can't do that, it would be interfering.  :lol:

I think that's already been proven to be worthy of the Nice Idea In Principle, Not So Great In Practice pile.

The EU will most definitely not be interested in heavily armed Libyans on its doorstep, and since France suddenly decided to be the hawk this time around, all there will be is bombing and possibly some ground force with the same mission as in Bosnia, Rwanda and the likes. The mission? To stand around and tell murderous thugs that hurting civilians is unacceptable.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2011, 01:30:24 PM
I was off. 5.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13092451

Your link has seven:

UK
France
US
Canada
Belgium
Norway
Denmark

... or did you discount some of them for Angerian reasons?

Warspite

Well, it didn't take long for the Vietnam parallels.  :lol:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

We should send American boys to do what African boys ought to be doing for themselves.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2011, 01:39:58 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2011, 01:30:24 PM
I was off. 5.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13092451

Your link has seven:

UK
France
US
Canada
Belgium
Norway
Denmark

... or did you discount some of them for Angerian reasons?

Belgium and Denmark aren't real.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2011, 05:13:52 PMBelgium and Denmark aren't real.

I figured it was something like that. Carry on then.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on April 19, 2011, 05:16:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2011, 05:13:52 PMBelgium and Denmark aren't real.

I figured it was something like that. Carry on then.

Actually, I miscounted. But for this silly war's sake, my silly answer stands.  :)

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2011, 05:13:52 PM

Guess, the bombs we drop on Gaddafi's forces isnt real either... :P
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on April 20, 2011, 08:28:59 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 19, 2011, 05:13:52 PM

Guess, the bombs we drop on Gaddafi's forces isnt real either... :P

I just assume the bombs are filled with flour or paint.

Well, yeah, man, you see, like, all the tanks we come up against are bigger and better than ours, so all we can hope to do is, like, scare 'em away, y'know. This gun is an ordinary 76mm but we add this piece of pipe onto it, and the Krauts think, like, maybe it's a 90mm. We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes... pretty pictures. Scares the hell outta people! We have a loudspeaker here, and when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of... calms us down.