And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2011, 07:32:52 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 28, 2011, 06:25:53 PM
QuoteFOX News is reporting that derspiess doesn't believe she's worth the $569,000 per Tomahawk.
We need cheaper weapons.

$122million supersonic top of the range fighter jets? What good are those against jihadists and other miscellanious third worlders? Lets be having a slow, sturdy, cheap and cheerful plane please.

Read Warthog and The Close Air Support Debate, and you'll hate the Chair Force even more.

Yeah, unfortunately, the people who usually rise to leadership are the fighter jocks.  I sympathize more with bombers and CAS (and nowadays, more UAVs) myself.

Our current Chief of Staff has a transport pilot/SpecOps background, so hopefully things might move (slowly, as always) a bit away from fighter silliness.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2011, 08:34:00 PMOur current Chief of Staff has a transport pilot/SpecOps background, so hopefully things might move (slowly, as always) a bit away from fighter silliness.

The Pentagon, the defense industry and their little bitches in Congress have more of a say in the matter.

DontSayBanana

Read Warthog and The Close Air Support Debate, and you'll hate the Chair Force even more.

This is totally off-topic, but some of us actually like the Warthog.  It's annoying how they automatically assume everyone's just gonna agree that it's ugly.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

So, how about Obama's speech? Good, bad, so-so?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 28, 2011, 09:26:39 PM

This is totally off-topic, but some of us actually like the Warthog.  It's annoying how they automatically assume everyone's just gonna agree that it's ugly.

The book is about the Pentagon's and Air Force's constant attempts to kill the project despite the fundamental need for CAS and as one of the most successful air platforms ever.  Dickhead.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2011, 09:31:14 PM

He gave a speech laying out the administration's position. It told the informed something they already knew and the ignorant something they weren't paying attention to.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tonitrus

Actually, I've always thought the A-10 was pretty.  :blush:

The sad reality is, though, even if someone in the Pentagon got it in their brain to restart production of the A-10, the defense contractor would likely be all "zomg, it needs all these fancy new avionics packages and what-not, will only cost $500 billion plz".

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 28, 2011, 09:32:28 PM

The book is about the Pentagon's and Air Force's constant attempts to kill the project despite the fundamental need for CAS and as one of the most successful air platforms ever.  Dickhead.

Banana isn't worried about details like that as long as the plane is pretty.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 28, 2011, 11:07:59 PM

Actually, I've always thought the A-10 was pretty.  :blush:

The sad reality is, though, even if someone in the Pentagon got it in their brain to restart production of the A-10, the defense contractor would likely be all "zomg, it needs all these fancy new avionics packages and what-not, will only cost $500 billion plz".

I've felt the same thing about the NATO standard frigates we are sending to the gulf of aden to chase pirates. Exceptionally expensive hyper advanced ships capable of hunting akula's and typhoons and beating off backfire and cruise missile attacks. I can't help thinking a WWII corvette with a good communications suite, good living quarters, a good cook, a few heavy weapons and a helicopter hanger would do just job for 1/10 the price and slightly better.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Hansmeister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 28, 2011, 09:31:14 PM

He added to his routine bashing of President Bush some bashing of President Clinton. Otherwise it was his usual incoherence on display.

Admiral Yi

I only caught a snip of it, but my impression is that the multilateral tail is wagging the mission dog.

Berkut

The A-10 is actually undergoing a modernization/SLEP program. Going to be the A-10C pretty soon - adding modern avionics, integrated PGM delivery capability.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on March 28, 2011, 06:25:53 PM
QuoteFOX News is reporting that derspiess doesn't believe she's worth the $569,000 per Tomahawk.
We need cheaper weapons.

$122million supersonic top of the range fighter jets? What good are those against jihadists and other miscellanious third worlders? Lets be having a slow, sturdy, cheap and cheerful plane please.

I've been thinking the same thing for years now. Every war of the last few decades has been a quick and overwhelming air campaign to knock out any AA and moving vehicle larger than a VW Beetle, followed by mop up and potentially counter-insurgency warfare. People like the Serbs have more sense than to keep fighting after their capability to effectively resist is gone, but the muds they continue sniping and bombing. What use is a MBT against insurgents? A Raptor against 3 guys in a Toyota with a mounted recoilless rifle?

A vast fleet of A-10s and relatively cheap explosives seems to be where it's at. Paying half a million dollars to kill a few arabs is too fucking expensive.

Ed Anger

Quote#
1012: Libya's state news agency, Jana, is reporting that Col Gaddafi's son, Khamis Gaddafi arrived at his father's Tripoli compound late Monday evening, according to BBC Monitoring.

Franco is alive again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Berkut on March 29, 2011, 07:41:19 AM
The A-10 is actually undergoing a modernization/SLEP program. Going to be the A-10C pretty soon - adding modern avionics, integrated PGM delivery capability.
Good to hear; damn good airplane for ground attack and close support. Like a super helicopter gunship. I also like the way they look. I've seen them fly over - damn cool and sinister look.