News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Kleves on March 25, 2011, 10:25:46 AM
Sounds like we're going to be sticking around and blowing shit up for awhile yet.
We're just protecting innocent civilians.  Whereas France has recognized the rebels as the legitimate government of Libya. :contract

Admiral Yi

Just heard on CNN that some Canuck general (Bouchard) has been put in charge of the operation.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2011, 12:11:45 PM
Just heard on CNN that some Canuck general (Bouchard) has been put in charge of the operation.

Obviously this is because Canadians have never lost a war.  Got to put that winning streak to the test.

Well at least not while the Afghanistan war is not quite finished yet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2011, 12:11:45 PM

But Sarkozy apparently doesn't want to yield control.

Fuck this standard French attitude. The others should leave and let him sort this mess out.

derspiess

Sarko can run it if he wants, for all I care.  He can also increase France's material commitment, letting us relax for a change with a token contribution.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Kleves

Whoever wins, we lose. By all means, though, lets keep bombing stuff for some indeterminate reason, for some inderterminate length of time.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Tamas

Quote from: Kleves on March 26, 2011, 09:32:53 AM
Whoever wins, we lose. By all means, though, lets keep bombing stuff for some indeterminate reason, for some inderterminate length of time.

Funny fact: Europeans like to hate America for bombing stuff in a "Leeroy Jankins" manner and selling their inconsiderate agression and ramptant greed for oil as championing freedom

And now Europe does the same. And -even more funnily- they do it over a country with lotsa' oil, and they call it defending lifes and freedom. And america-haters applaud them for it. Go figure.

jamesww

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2011, 10:12:57 AM

Funny fact: Europeans like to hate America for bombing stuff in a "Leeroy Jankins" manner and selling their inconsiderate agression and ramptant greed for oil as championing freedom

And now Europe does the same. And -even more funnily- they do it over a country with lotsa' oil, and they call it defending lifes and freedom. And america-haters applaud them for it. Go figure.

Your post suggests it's really Libya's vast surplus of arable crop by-product thats been fought over.

jamesww

Perhaps the most upsetting story I've seen coming out of Libya:

Gaddafi media minders/thugs snatch 'rape victim' away from foreign journalists:

Watch the video, Channel 4 news:
http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/260311/clipid/260311_LibyaMiller_26

Very brave woman, though she's probably 'signed her own death warrant'.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2011, 09:10:32 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 24, 2011, 11:21:42 AM
Perhaps, but I see no reason why outside powers should be bound to respect it.  The rule of respect for state sovereignty is no more than an international norm.  A putative regime that operates outside of such norms cannot expect to claim their protection.
Stalin's prewar regime enjoyed such protection.  It seems like the precedent is that any regime at all can expect some level of respect.

It always baffles me when people bring up events from nearly 100 years ago as some sort of justification for modern international politics.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2011, 10:12:57 AM

Why are you being an unethical retard? Does it make you feel "smart" or "cool" to be cynical? You are a useless lower class representative of a useless nation. You are a cannon fodder, not one of the movers and shakers of the world - noone here is. At least I can understand why some Americans think it is only right to drop bombs if it is in America's interest - and ethics of this be damned. Can't understand why you take this view, though.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 26, 2011, 05:58:48 PM
At least I can understand why some Americans think it is only right to drop bombs if it is in America's interest - and ethics of this be damned. Can't understand why you take this view, though.

Clearly it is right and good to drop bombs in many many situations.  But in some situations it is more right than others.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Why are they using chemical bombs?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi