News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The rebels are probably worse than the current regime.  Colour me unsurprised.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

The problem with all those Arab revolutions and civil wars is that in the end, the bad guys will inevitably win.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2011, 12:23:05 PM
The problem with all those Arab revolutions and civil wars is that in the end, the bad guys will inevitably win.
The Arab people are the 'bad guys'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on March 06, 2011, 12:26:11 PM
*whoosh*

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on March 06, 2011, 12:27:09 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 06, 2011, 12:26:11 PM
*whoosh*
No, I got it.  I just think you're wrong.

Richard Hakluyt

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Maximus

What seems odd to me is that there appears to be  no one stepping forward to claim leadership of the rebel movement. Some sort of governing council seems to be emerging in Benghazi but few of the members there seem to have names. The clergy appear to be backing the movement- some of them at least- but again, none speaking up publicly.

Other places with repressive governments still seem to have opposition leaders but I'm not seeing them here.

JonasSalk

I saw a really long defense of Gadaffi (can we have some sort of standard of how to spell his name, please?) from some Brazilian commie.  It was hilarious.
Yuman

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on March 06, 2011, 02:42:26 PM
What seems odd to me is that there appears to be  no one stepping forward to claim leadership of the rebel movement. Some sort of governing council seems to be emerging in Benghazi but few of the members there seem to have names. The clergy appear to be backing the movement- some of them at least- but again, none speaking up publicly.

Other places with repressive governments still seem to have opposition leaders but I'm not seeing them here.
I think someone else mentioned (or linked) that Libya is tribal, and that this civil war is basically Kadafi's tribe against the four others.  That could explain the absence of a unitary opposition.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2011, 03:02:06 PM
I think someone else mentioned (or linked) that Libya is tribal, and that this civil war is basically Kadafi's tribe against the four others.  That could explain the absence of a unitary opposition.
That could be it, but at least some of the government officials that defected have been from his tribe. That must be awkward.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on March 06, 2011, 03:06:45 PM
That could be it, but at least some of the government officials that defected have been from his tribe. That must be awkward.
Family renunions will be a little tense.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2011, 03:02:06 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 06, 2011, 02:42:26 PM

That is my understanding. 
PDH!

Josephus

The Maltese have never seen this much aircraft and ships on display since WWII. Must be an awesome place to be right now for warship fanatics.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

Neil is at the docks looking for the battleships.
PDH!