News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

offshore mutual funds

Started by Caliga, May 02, 2010, 02:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Does anyone other than Lemonjello (who rarely visits Languish anymore :( ) have alot of investing experience in offshore mutuals?

I have one already that kicks serious ass, which I got at his suggestion, but I want to shift more of my portfolio into offshore holdings... in particular I'm interested in Latin America (especially Brazil and to a lesser extent Mexico).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 02:30:11 PM
Does anyone other than Lemonjello (who rarely visits Languish anymore :( ) have alot of investing experience in offshore mutuals?

I have one already that kicks serious ass, which I got at his suggestion, but I want to shift more of my portfolio into offshore holdings... in particular I'm interested in Latin America (especially Brazil and to a lesser extent Mexico).

Do you mean mutual funds specializing in foreign holdings or mutual funds actually in Mexico?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Anyway, if its the former, the answer is yes, if it is the latter, then no.

Fidelity has a bunch of international mutual funds, listed at the link below, including one for Latin America. The expense ratio is over 1%, which is kind of high.

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/funds/mutual_funds_overview.shtml.cvsr

All my international funds are in one place at Vanguard which is an index fund that is the entire world, less the US. The expense ratio is around .4%.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2010, 02:34:33 PM
Do you mean mutual funds specializing in foreign holdings or mutual funds actually in Mexico?
Sorry, the former.

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2010, 02:38:54 PM
All my international funds are in one place at Vanguard which is an index fund that is the entire world, less the US. The expense ratio is around .4%.
ticker pl0x

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on May 02, 2010, 02:42:26 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 02, 2010, 02:38:54 PM
ticker pl0x

This is the fund I use (VFWIX):

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0770&FundIntExt=INT

The Latin American Fidelity Fund is (FLATX):

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/funds/mfl_frame.shtml?315910844

If you want broad international exposure, you can't do better than my fund since it theoretically covers the entire world excluding the US--hence it is the only fund I own. The ticker symbol for the Latin American fund may not be to your liking.

Caliga

Admiral Yi

P-O-N-Z-I,
P-O-N-Z-I,
P-O-N-Z-I,
And Ponzi was his name-o.

I am hard-pressed to think of any reason why an offshore fund would have any significant advantages over onshore.

citizen k

Does it have to be a mutual fund?

QuoteTop Emerging Market ETFs as of 2/28/10

Fund Name    Get Info    Overall Rating    Risk Grade
PowerShares Emg Mkts Infrastructure    PXR    A+    B-
SPDR S&P Emerg Middle East&Africa    GAF    A+    C+
iShares JPMorgan USD Emg Mkts    EMB    A    C+
Vanguard Total World Stock ETF    VT    A    C+
WisdomTree Emrg Mkts Hi Ylg Eq    DEM    A    C
SPDR S&P Emerging Latin America ETF    GML    A    C
SPDR S&P Emerging Markets ETF    GMM    A    C
WisdomTree Emg Mkts SmCap Div    DGS    A-    C