Texan politician: Asians should change their names to something easier

Started by Martinus, April 11, 2009, 05:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

However, this does raise an interesting question. What's the deal with Asians who come to America changing their first names? It's not just parents changing their kids' names; I have a friend who's here on a work-visa from Korea, and he goes by the name Ryan.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2009, 09:40:03 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 09:09:39 PM
I could be very wrong here but I think it's a mainland China thing.

In the case of the people I knew it was a Taiwanese thing.

Most of the Japanese I've known, at least the 2nd gen ones, usually had English names.  The younger ones I come across, not so much anymore.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2009, 08:57:13 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 11, 2009, 05:54:17 PM
Oh sweet jesus  :frusty:

Well, once upon a time, Asians WANTED to become more assimilated, dropping their traditional names for English.
But now, with all the PC-pride-in-your-tribe bullshit, it's not as common anymore.
Interesting. I didn't know that.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2009, 09:04:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2009, 08:57:13 PM
Well, once upon a time, Asians WANTED to become more assimilated, dropping their traditional names for English.
But now, with all the PC-pride-in-your-tribe bullshit, it's not as common anymore.

Do they seriously not do that anymore?  Pity I found it charming they would name themselves 'Sam' and 'Mary'.  But they would still keep their old last names.
They still do, almost all the Asian kids at the school I'm teaching at all have traditional English first names, it's the black students and some of the Hispanic students that have some bizzare first names.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Faeelin on April 11, 2009, 09:46:11 PM
However, this does raise an interesting question. What's the deal with Asians who come to America changing their first names? It's not just parents changing their kids' names; I have a friend who's here on a work-visa from Korea, and he goes by the name Ryan.

Yeah it would be weird if I worked in Korea and told everybody to call me Yi.  Is that some sort of Asian cultural thing?  Do Chinese people take a Japanese name if they move to Japan?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2009, 09:46:44 PM
Most of the Japanese I've known, at least the 2nd gen ones, usually had English names.  The younger ones I come across, not so much anymore.

I blame Anime.  It made having a Japanese name cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Fair point. The nisei tended to be pretty sensitive with regard to the cultural gap.

As far as unpronounceable names, my biggest problems are with "urban" names, usually black inner-city types or the even larger group who like to pretend they're black inner-city types. People born and raised in the US, born of people born and raised in the US, with English as the primary (often only) language in the household for a few generations, and yet names like Shequanah and Shaniquah (my personal favorite is Shithéad, which always causes embarrassment for the poor kid- yet I've seen it 4 times already) make me wonder how you can politely ask for a pronunciation guide.
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2009, 09:57:54 PM

I blame Anime.  It made having a Japanese name cool.
My anecdote is ignored. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 11, 2009, 10:29:24 PM

Fair point. The nisei tended to be pretty sensitive with regard to the cultural gap.

As far as unpronounceable names, my biggest problems are with "urban" names, usually black inner-city types or the even larger group who like to pretend they're black inner-city types. People born and raised in the US, born of people born and raised in the US, with English as the primary (often only) language in the household for a few generations, and yet names like Shequanah and Shaniquah (my personal favorite is Shithéad, which always causes embarrassment for the poor kid- yet I've seen it 4 times already) make me wonder how you can politely ask for a pronunciation guide.

http://www.babynames.org.uk/african-american-baby-names.htm
Ja'Quaelah
Ta-Ja'e
Keyair
J'vonte'
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2009, 12:03:37 AM
http://www.babynames.org.uk/african-american-baby-names.htm
Ja'Quaelah
Ta-Ja'e
Keyair
J'vonte'

Even living 40 minutes from Camden, and 90 minutes from Newark, I still had to put some thought into how to pronounce those names.

BTW, you want to hear something really funny? Deaf African-Americans mispronouncing those names, because they've never heard them verbalized. The thought of faux pas like that makes me really miss my job. :(
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2009, 09:52:09 PM
They still do, almost all the Asian kids at the school I'm teaching at all have traditional English first names, it's the black students and some of the Hispanic students that have some bizzare first names.

Yeah, most Asian Americans I've met have old style American names, rather than misspellings of normal names or stuff like Dakota.  Aside from a few from commie countries, whose parents picked the wrong side, and named them Boris.

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 12, 2009, 12:06:53 AM

Even living 40 minutes from Camden, and 90 minutes from Newark, I still had to put some thought into how to pronounce those names.

To me they look like something from a third rate fantasy story.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2009, 12:19:45 AM
To me they look like something from a third rate fantasy story.
I was thinking sci fi (syfy?) alien races.