Flip names are easy.  :)

Aren't they just Spanish?

That State Rep. would be like "WHOT THE HELL YOUR NOT UH MEXIKUNN!?!?!?!"
Many are, yes.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2009, 06:25:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2009, 06:02:50 PM
The stupidest part about all of this is that Asian last names are not even hard to say.

'How do you pronounce this...Chung?  I think I will just call you Smith'.
Thai, Lao, and Cambodian names are impossible.
Most Thai, in my experience, shorten their name when they move to the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2009, 06:25:18 PM
Thai, Lao, and Cambodian names are impossible.

Not sure about Cambodians, but Thai and Lao, which are basically the same, official names are long but not that hard to pronounce.  Irrelevant in daily life though, since they mostly go by one syllable nicknames (often in English) instead of their real names, which most people they know will not even know. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 11, 2009, 07:18:45 PM
Not sure about Cambodians, but Thai and Lao, which are basically the same, official names are long but not that hard to pronounce.  Irrelevant in daily life though, since they mostly go by one syllable nicknames (often in English) instead of their real names, which most people they know will not even know.
Yeah, realized Camboge was off.  Pol Pot.  Heng Sim.  Not hard.

Malaysian names are spastic, aren't they?  Not like we have a bunch in the US.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2009, 07:21:17 PM
Malaysian names are spastic, aren't they?  Not like we have a bunch in the US.
I thought they were standard Muslim-sounding names? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

DisturbedPervert

Not sure about Malaysian names, I dated a Malaysian in college, but she was ethnic Chinese.  They sound Muslim from my limited experience in Malaysia.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2009, 07:42:07 PM
We don't have a bunch in the US! :mad:
Ok.  I'll rephrase.  In my experience they're just standard Muslim-sounding names :p
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Now finally, someone comes up with a good idea for immigrants!  Lol.. Just keep quiet Congressman; what a dope.

But on a similar note, many of my Syrian relatives (from my step mother's side) had their names changed when they arrived, mainly because of the language difficulties and translations. A name like Awad became Howard, spelled phonetically I guess. Not any try to change the names, just the translation and/or how the new immigrant, or immigration authorities, spelled it or what ever.  I guess now a days that'd be a hate crime, law suits and such.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 11, 2009, 05:54:17 PM
Oh sweet jesus  :frusty:

Well, once upon a time, Asians WANTED to become more assimilated, dropping their traditional names for English.
But now, with all the PC-pride-in-your-tribe bullshit, it's not as common anymore.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2009, 08:57:13 PM
Well, once upon a time, Asians WANTED to become more assimilated, dropping their traditional names for English.
But now, with all the PC-pride-in-your-tribe bullshit, it's not as common anymore.

Do they seriously not do that anymore?  Pity I found it charming they would name themselves 'Sam' and 'Mary'.  But they would still keep their old last names.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2009, 09:04:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2009, 08:57:13 PM

Do they seriously not do that anymore?  Pity I found it charming they would name themselves 'Sam' and 'Mary'.  But they would still keep their old last names.
I could be very wrong here but I think it's a mainland China thing.  In Bristol therre's loads of international students, predominately from the Far East.  In my experience the ones from the mainland while moving choose a new 'English' name for themselves, one that they like.  So I know a Dawn and a Patrick, for example, but that's not their real name.  Students from Hong Kong on the other hand almost always keep their Cantonese name.  But that's really anecdotal and could just be the people I know.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2009, 09:09:39 PM
I could be very wrong here but I think it's a mainland China thing.

In the case of the people I knew it was a Taiwanese thing.