Police find car bomb in Times Square!?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 01, 2010, 10:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:o
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/02/nyregion/02timessquare.html?hp

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: May 1, 2010

Thousands of tourists and theatergoers were cleared from Times Square as the police investigated what they suspected was a car bomb there on Saturday evening.

Police officials said they received a report about 6:30 p.m. of smoke coming from a Nissan Pathfinder parked on 45th Street just west of Seventh Avenue. The authorities found a smoking package in the vehicle and now believe it was a bomb. A bomb squad was sent to the scene.

The package did not explode, and officials said they did not know whether it was related to terrorism.

Broadway was closed between at least 43rd and 46th Streets, and the police also appeared to be closing off part of Eighth Avenue.

Onlookers crowded against the metal barricades encircling the area, taking pictures with cellphones and video cameras, although only a swarm of flashing fire trucks and police cars was visible.

Many people stayed to watch after being shut out of Broadway shows or prevented from getting back to their hotels, trading rumors about what was happening.

The Toys "R" Us, between 44th and 45th Streets, was empty.

Gabrielle Zecha and Taj Heniser, visiting from Seattle, had tickets to see "Next to Normal" at the Booth Theater on 45th Street but could not get into the 8 p.m. show because the area was blocked off. But they made the best of the spectacle. "It's a whole different kind of show," Ms. Heniser said, adding, "It's almost the equivalent of a $150 show."

In December, the police closed Times Square for nearly two hours as they investigated a suspiciously parked van, delaying the rehearsal of the New Year's ball drop. However, the van turned out to contain nothing but clothing.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

That's what people get for going to Times Square. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

A bomb in Times Square...

Times Square...

Tim's Square

AH HA!

It must be been a misguided assassination attempt by the Spelling Jugend
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on May 01, 2010, 11:03:40 PM
A bomb in Times Square...

Times Square...

Tim's Square

AH HA!

It must be been a misguided assassination attempt by the Spelling Jugend
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

QuoteKelly says the car contained three propane tanks, consumer-grade fireworks, two filled 5-gallon gasoline containers, and two clocks with batteries, electrical wire and other components. He says a black metal box resembling a gun locker was also recovered.

Obviously a Chinese Tea Bagger.

Razgovory

Isn't Han's wife Japanese?  That's pretty close.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Anway, I'm excited.  I hope to see predator drones flying over the east coast by this afternoon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ed Anger

I wish somebody would blow up Tim's internet connection.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Strix

Quote from: jamesww on May 02, 2010, 10:07:39 AM
This won't count as terrorism, because when arrested the perpetuator will be wearing a t-shirt emblazened with a 18th/19th century quotation.  :ph34r:

We haven't heard from Minsky Movement in a few days?  :secret:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 02, 2010, 10:18:50 AM
I wish somebody would blow up Tim's internet connection.

Kim Jong Ill will pull through.

DGuller

This is just another example of how overly paranoid we are of a terrorist attack.  All you have to do is leave a car bomb unattended for a couple of minutes, and all hell breaks loose.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

There is one more thing that's bothering me about this incident.  How did the guy manage to find a parking spot in Times Square at that time of the day?

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM