Defensive Pass Interference
2 (14.3%)
Nothing
2 (14.3%)
I like burritos
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

crazy canuck

If the commentator is right then call was in error because the contact occured before the ball was in the air and apparently it is ok to hit a reciever going down field before the ball is in the air.

Not sure why it could be OPI it seems the offensive player was just trying to shake off the hit.

Neil

Had the QB even thrown the ball?  It's illegal contact at best.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2010, 10:17:46 AM
If the commentator is right then call was in error because the contact occured before the ball was in the air and apparently it is ok to hit a reciever going down field before the ball is in the air.

Almost correct. You cannot have pass interference until the ball is in the air, but that does not mean it is legal to hit a receiver.

Once it is clear that a receiver is NOT a potential blocker, you cannot hit them. And if you watch the receiver on this play, he is NOT creating the contact. B15 steps to his right to put himself into the receivers path, forcing the receiver to the outside, then B15 hits him. You only get the "potential blocker" exception (as the defense) when you are holding your ground - not when you are moving into the receivers route. And it isn't a "who gets there first" thing either.

You see this a lot with a TE dragging across the middle. If the TE cuts underneath a LB, and the LB steps up into his path (even if he gets there first) the resulting  contact is (or should be) either DPI (if the pass is in the air) or defensive holding.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

Interesting, I figured it would be more like the charging/blocking call in basketball.  So at what point does the defender have the right to the space he is on?  It really looks to me like the offensive player just runs straight into the defensive player, does the DB just have to let himself get run over there?

C.C.R.

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2010, 11:29:21 PM
So as I've told some of you, I am moving up to the college ranks in football officiating. Yeah me!

Congrats on the call-up, Berkie!

:cheers:

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2010, 01:11:05 PM
Interesting, I figured it would be more like the charging/blocking call in basketball.  So at what point does the defender have the right to the space he is on?  It really looks to me like the offensive player just runs straight into the defensive player, does the DB just have to let himself get run over there?

The defensive player does have the right to a spot on the field of course, but that spot cannot be taken in a manner designed to force the receiver off of their route. The receiver is allowed to run their route unimpeded.

The exception to this rule is when the receiver is a potential blocker. Presumably, the defender doesn't know that the receiver isn't going to come block them for a running play, but if that is the case, then the contact needs to be initiated by the receiver. Watch the route again - the receiver is running a wheel route. The "matchup" the announcer mentions is actually NOT where the play happens. The receiver (A15) is actually inside, a comes underneath on a wheel route towards the sideline. B11 steps to his right, into the route, then hits the receiver, then turns in and makes the interception. If you notice, when the play starts, eh is lined up inside the "40" on the field, then hits the receiver well outside of it.

The closeup is kind of misleading, but you can see what I mean when you watch the entire play. The receiver is actually trying to get into his route, and the defender slides over.

It is specifically NOT like basketball, in fact. Funny that you mention that - one of the people who wrote the high school rule on this commented in the discussion thread that they specifically wrote the rule to NOT be like basketball. You cannot knock a receiver off of their route, unless that receiver is a potential blocker who is coming after you.

0 rows returned

dps

What level of college ball are you going to?

Berkut

0 rows returned

Berkut

Hehe, one of the plays we were just looking at was from the Arizona-Nebraska Holiday Bowl.

Oh, man - I had forgotten all about that!

Roughing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdhBuv6d-ks&feature=player_embedded

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on May 02, 2010, 07:11:41 PM
Hehe, one of the plays we were just looking at was from the Arizona-Nebraska Holiday Bowl.

Oh, man - I had forgotten all about that!

Roughing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdhBuv6d-ks&feature=player_embedded
Didn't look like it to me.  The defensive player started his move before the ball was thrown, and backed off on the play when the ball left the QB's hand.  That wasn't a tackle at all, just an incidental contact made because the defender couldn't completely stop.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I disagree with grumbler, I didn't think he pulled back much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?