Defensive Pass Interference
2 (14.3%)
Nothing
2 (14.3%)
I like burritos
5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Berkut

So as I've told some of you, I am moving up to the college ranks in football officiating. Yeah me!

One of the things I am already being exposed to is film, and boy do the college guys LOVE film!

So I've been watching a lot, and though I might share some of the more interesting clips we get, and see what anyone interested in football thinks, looking at some calls from the stripes perspective. If you could not care less, that is fine - feel free to have a burrito instead.

So here is one - is this pass interference, and if so, is it offensive or defensive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpyHUxtyH8Q&feature=player_embedded
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Frick, I dunno.  But I'm curious what the answer is.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I don't think I'd call anything on that play. Judging from the title of the clip, I assume it's supposed to be offensive pass interference?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

I think it should be a no-call.  After slowing it down and looking at it frame-by-frame I would say it should be called on the defense, teh OSU player got his hand into the receiver first, can't tell who grabs who after that.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

Offensive or no call.  Ole Miss guy was grabbing the Pokes players shoulder and kinda pulling him back just before the ball got there, but there was a lot of that shit going on.  I don't know if it matters, but they both seemed to be looking back at the ball while they were knocking each other around trying to get position, etc, but the shoulder grab kinda stood out for some reason.  OkState player was in position to get the INT more than WR was to make the catch, but I don't know if that matters either.  If I had to throw a flag, I'd hit the WR with it.  I'm sure as hell not a ref though.

That was the worst game, btw.

Oh and congrats on being an NCAA ref now.  :) 

sbr

Not to hijack your topic this early but I had a question for you Berkut. 

The NFL is moving the Umpire from the defensive backfield to the offensive backfield, specifically 14 yards behind either offensive tackle.  The last 2 minutes of each half they will line up in their old position to speed up the spot of the ball.

What is your thoughts as an official on this? 

PDH

Quote from: sbr on May 01, 2010, 12:11:24 AM
Will there be a giant cross swapped with where the umpire used to be? If so, Berk is against it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Not to hijack your topic this early but I had a question for you Berkut. 

The NFL is moving the Umpire from the defensive backfield to the offensive backfield, specifically 14 yards behind either offensive tackle.  The last 2 minutes of each half they will line up in their old position to speed up the spot of the ball.

I don't like it. I understand why they are doing it, but I think it leaves the middle of the field empty of eyes, and puts more pressure on the two wing officials, who already have the toughest jobs on the field.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 01, 2010, 12:08:42 AM
Offensive or no call.  Ole Miss guy was grabbing the Pokes players shoulder and kinda pulling him back just before the ball got there, but there was a lot of that shit going on.  I don't know if it matters, but they both seemed to be looking back at the ball while they were knocking each other around trying to get position, etc, but the shoulder grab kinda stood out for some reason.  OkState player was in position to get the INT more than WR was to make the catch, but I don't know if that matters either.  If I had to throw a flag, I'd hit the WR with it.  I'm sure as hell not a ref though.

That was the worst game, btw.

Oh and congrats on being an NCAA ref now.  :) 

Thanks.

Yep - that is generally the consensus. There is quite a bit of contact, but

1. Both players were playing the ball, rather than each other, and
2. The contact is pretty even - neither player is really gaining much of an advantage from the contact.

I could see, however, DPI or OPI being supported. DPI because the *first* contact seems to be when they receiver moves inside, and the defender sticks his arm out and seems to hold him up a little bit.

OPI because the receiver then turns around and seems to hold up the defender when it becomes clear that the ball is over-thrown, and the defender has the better shot at it.

But I think the right call is nothing.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2010, 12:37:09 AM
Will there be a giant cross swapped with where the umpire used to be? If so, Berk is against it.

The cross would be fine, but the swap, not so much.

0 rows returned

Ed Anger

So if the players do a post game prayer, are you going to tackle them and break it up?

Anyways, as for the video, no call.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

It seems like a no-call to me.  There was quite a bit of pulling and hand-fighting in there, but they were both playing the ball.  You could probably call DPI on the little tug the defender gives him after he cuts inside, but that would be pretty ticky-tack, especially since he still wouldn't have been able to make the catch because of the overthrow and the fact that the defender had much better position.  Of course, you could easily call OPI on the little tug-and-turn that the receiver gives him once it's clear that the defender had a better chance at the ball.  Still, they were both trying to make a play on the ball the whole time, not take the other guy out.  Even when the receiver grabbed on for a quarter-second, he was still looking for the ball.  Because of that, I'd say that the two potentially flaggable moments should get a pass, as neither really made a play or kept a play from being made.

If I had to call a penalty there, OPI would be the call.  Really, grabbing a guy by the shoulder and turning him, even a little, is a stupid thing to do.  It's very visible to officials, and will draw flags.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on May 01, 2010, 07:18:39 AM
Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2010, 12:37:09 AM

The cross would be fine, but the swap, not so much.
:)
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Berkut

Okay, here is another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR_6yeHoAak&feature=player_embedded#!

This is an interesting play. The call was certainly wrong. Why?

Also, could this be OPI?

0 rows returned