BELIEVE: Dems propose national biometric ID card

Started by jimmy olsen, April 30, 2010, 11:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Quote from: Jaron on May 01, 2010, 07:49:04 PM
I think thats where the machine guns and mines come in.

Sadly, most illegals are intelligent enough to buy a plane ticket and simply overstay their tourist or student visas rather than crossing the border at Ceuta or risking the Straits.

Jaron

Our problems would be solved if all our illegal immigrants hopped on a plane bound for Ceuta
Winner of THE grumbler point.

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on May 01, 2010, 07:43:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2010, 06:13:03 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 01, 2010, 06:11:14 PM
Anyone who thinks an ID card will put a dent on illegal immigration is out of his mind.
How extraordinary unconvincing. :mellow:

Spain has had ID cards for as long as I can remember and we've received millions of illegal immigrants. 
And it is impossible for anyone to succeed where Spain has failed?  :hmm:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Iormlund on May 01, 2010, 07:54:16 PM
Quote from: Jaron on May 01, 2010, 07:49:04 PM
I think thats where the machine guns and mines come in.

Sadly, most illegals are intelligent enough to buy a plane ticket and simply overstay their tourist or student visas rather than crossing the border at Ceuta or risking the Straits.
:huh:

You said in the post before this that
As long as someone is willing to hire an illegal worker for peanuts you will get illegal immigrants. Even if you managed to detain every single one of them, which is doubtful, what are you going to do then?  Where are you going to expel them to? If they have half a neuron they won't have passports and won't reveal their countries of origin. And even if you do expel some, how are you going to keep them there?
If they are coming in on visas, surely they must have passports.  And if they had to submit passport information to get a visa, surely the authorities can use that information to identify these people.

You are not making any sense to me.

The purpose of the US identification system is to ensure that employers who hire illegals cannot claim they didn't know they were illegal.  Since knowingly hiring illegals will likely cost you your business if caught, this should reduce employability of illegals by a bunch - provided the databases cannot be hacked and the cards cannot be readily forged.

The argument that cutting illegal employment drastically will not "put a dent on illegal immigration" is going to be a hard sell, I suspect.  Good luck with that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

PDH

Fuck it, let anybody in to work who has a passport and stops at the border station. That way I can get my all you can eat salad bar.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on May 01, 2010, 08:33:39 PM
Our problems would be solved if all our illegal immigrants hopped on a plane bound for Ceuta

I don't think Ceuta's airport is equipped to handle that much traffic.

Edit- Apparently it doesn't even have an airport.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on May 01, 2010, 08:54:21 PM
Fuck it, let anybody in to work who has a passport and stops at the border station. That way I can get my all you can eat salad bar.

:thumbsup:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...