And we're back!

Main Menu

Iranian jet buzzed the USS Eisenhower

Started by citizen k, April 29, 2010, 12:23:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

QuoteAP source: US Navy has encounter with Iranian jet
By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press

WASHINGTON – A U.S. military official says the Navy had a close encounter with an Iranian surveillance jet last week in the Gulf of Oman.

The official says the jet buzzed a Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Eisenhower, coming within about 1,000 yards of the ship. The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, said the April 21 incident occurred in international waters.

The jet was described as a maritime patrol aircraft generally used for surveillance.

The official says "there was nothing threatening about the aircraft itself or how it presented itself."

The official could not confirm reports by NBC and CBS that the jet made three passes over the Navy ship.

garbon

I buzz this topic.

edit: Or is it digg or like?  :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Slow news day.

"US Navy sees an air plane"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

1,000 yards? Can't a jet over that distance in a few seconds? What if it had swerved over and tried to kamikaze into the ship? Would there have been enough time to react and shoot it down?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

What if Queen Elizabeth I had been piloting the jet? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Quote from: garbon on April 29, 2010, 01:20:15 AM
What if Queen Elizabeth I had been piloting the jet? :hmm:

How DARE you talk about the Queen Mother that way! :angry:

garbon

Jaron

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 29, 2010, 12:47:40 AM
1,000 yards? Can't a jet over that distance in a few seconds? What if it had swerved over and tried to kamikaze into the ship? Would there have been enough time to react and shoot it down?

Tim, that plane got inside the AAA umbrella protecting the carrier, in international waters, and our brave sailors did nothing.
Now the iranians know how to take out a carrier.

This is call a dry run.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Maverick and Iceman were too busy staring each other down on the hangar deck to stop them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 29, 2010, 07:43:54 AM
Maverick and Iceman were too busy staring each other down on the hangar deck to stop them.

And as always, there have to be a movie reference from a war movie.

Ah, I forgot, war is only a movie for you.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Ed Anger

Quote from: Siege on April 29, 2010, 08:38:46 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 29, 2010, 07:43:54 AM

And as always, there have to be a movie reference from a war movie.

Ah, I forgot, war is only a movie for you.

As it should be. I am much too valuable to myself to be risked doing shit plebs can do better.

Enjoy being cannon fodder!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on April 29, 2010, 07:36:16 AM
Tim, that plane got inside the AAA umbrella protecting the carrier, in international waters, and our brave sailors did nothing.
Now the iranians know how to take out a carrier.

This is call a dry run.
:lol:  Never change!

I would note that "brave" Siegebreaker did nothing about the plane (other than whine), either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Marty would've stopped the plane with his bare hands.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall