News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Paradox's "Rome" - is it any good?

Started by Martinus, April 28, 2010, 02:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I have an itch to play a Rome-themed game - would you guys recommend the Paradox's "Rome"? Is it any good?

The Brain

Can't you just watch Spartacus again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Titus Pullo: Psst, what is Latin for "and then we jump up and fuck them in the ass"?
Lucius Vorenus:  I don't know, nobody speaks Latin anymore.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

I just watched two seasons of "Rome" and I am running a "Requiem for Rome" vampire game. I need a computer game fix, not another medium. :P

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2010, 02:00:50 PM
I have an itch to play a Rome-themed game - would you guys recommend the Paradox's "Rome"? Is it any good?

No.  It's another one of those games where Paradox *almost* made something good, leaving just bitter disappointment.

On the other hand, it should be cheap now, so why not find out firsthand?  Be sure to get the expansion.

DGuller

It has only one expansion?  No wonder it's crap.

dps

It's probably the most stable, bug-free game Paradox has ever released.

It's also totally devoid of any period flavor, and a complete bore.

Threviel

In theory it is very good, the government design is excellent for example. In practice it's a bore.

szmik

9 and half months later nothing changed  :P
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Threviel on April 30, 2010, 02:08:30 AM
In theory it is very good, the government design is excellent for example. In practice it's a bore.
It would be good if it was more interactive anyway.
As it is you have all this behind the scenes politics of people marrying each other, killing each other and jostling to fullfill their ambitions but your impact on this is very limited. What you see is even somewhat limited.

Rome overall is quite a failure. It just doesn't work. There's only a handfull of nations in the game, the same two or three always end up dominating. A EU style map game isn't the way to go, things should be fare more about behind the scenes stuff, and the map zoomed in quite a bit more.

Suddenly I yearn for a modern Caesar 2....
██████
██████
██████