And we're back!

Main Menu

S&P downgrades Greek and Portuguese bonds

Started by Richard Hakluyt, April 27, 2010, 11:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Sudden drama on the stock exchange  :huh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8647441.stm

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

MadImmortalMan

It's shaping up to be a good day to pick up a position or two on the dip. I'll give it a few more hours and see what develops.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2010, 11:52:06 AM
It's shaping up to be a good day to pick up a position or two on the dip.

Keep in mind that there are probably some big institutions out there with large portfolios that are looking to dump on the bounces.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2010, 11:52:06 AM
It's shaping up to be a good day to pick up a position or two on the dip. I'll give it a few more hours and see what develops.
What kind of instrument would you buy to go long short term on a sovereign bond?

C.C.R.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2010, 04:41:41 PM
What kind of instrument would you buy to go long short term on a sovereign bond?

Definitely a trumpet...

MadImmortalMan

I'd say somebody looking to trade on that kind of thing would probably be doing currency exchange trades. I'm sure people shorting the Euro are making a lot of money this week. And people going long in gold. GLD is up pretty good today. I just like to take my long positions in stocks when we have downward spikes in the market in general.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2010, 06:37:01 PM

I'd say somebody looking to trade on that kind of thing would probably be doing currency exchange trades. I'm sure people shorting the Euro are making a lot of money this week.

Why?

Europe is more likely to jettison Greece than to take a big hit to Euro value.

Alatriste

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2010, 01:23:45 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 27, 2010, 06:37:01 PM

I'd say somebody looking to trade on that kind of thing would probably be doing currency exchange trades. I'm sure people shorting the Euro are making a lot of money this week.

Why?

Europe is more likely to jettison Greece than to take a big hit to Euro value.

I wouldn't be so sure, a lower Euro is good for exports. German exports, for example...

Tamas

IIRC the dollar has been gaining a lot against the euro over the treacherous Greeks and on the short term the euro will nosedive if Greece gets banned from the eurozone, thats how shit works.

The related thing I find funny, annoying, and scary however is what a columnist of thestreet.com calls the "HAL 9000 rallies". Every single day when the american indexes turn into negative, during their late afternoons an accross the board buying sweep begins until they manage to put stuff back into the green. Even yesterday they attempted it.

Richard Hakluyt

For some unfathomable reason my Marston's shares ( http://www.marstons.co.uk/ ) have been performing very badly since this news came out  :hmm:

I can't see the link at all, Brits are going to respond to a Greek default by not going to the pub anymore? Rather farfetched  :D

Martim Silva

Things are rather hectic here.

And they're real bad. Far worse than any of you imagine.

Currently, Greece and Portugal will be bailed out by Germany. What the Germans think doesn't matter.

The contagion is real and spreading. A spanish crisis is almost sure (got their rating cut today) and their bailout will push the Germans to the limit.

And there are even more countries on the edge.

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 28, 2010, 09:44:41 AM
For some unfathomable reason my Marston's shares ( http://www.marstons.co.uk/ ) have been performing very badly since this news came out  :hmm:

I can't see the link at all, Brits are going to respond to a Greek default by not going to the pub anymore? Rather farfetched  :D

Does Marston have any exposure to the euro? If the euro goes in the tank, that is going to hurt their bottom line when reported in pounds.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Instead of bailouts, wouldn't it be much cheaper just to make the rating agencies assign a higher grade to Greece, Portugal, and Spain?