News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pedrito: the carpenter?

Started by Pedrito, April 26, 2010, 10:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What to do with a lot of cherry tree wood?

A tree house for the boys: G.R.O.S.S.!
8 (47.1%)
A ground cabin, no fear of heights
1 (5.9%)
an awful lot of CD/DVD racks
5 (29.4%)
Cut away some fingers: opposable thumbs FTL
3 (17.6%)
Other, please suggest
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pedrito

My father's been forced to cut down ten cherry trees, so now we're left with a nice quantity of good logs and noone has the faintest idea of what to do with it.
I'm toying with the idea of consuming what's left of my free time and start a carpentry project - of which I have zero previous experience, so it's extremely probable this will end in a lot of swearing, the asportation of at least a couple phalanges, and a spectacular failure.

Everything will be documented, for the amusement of other Languishites.

What to do, what to do?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Barrister

If you're going to try your hand at carpentry, wouldn't it be easier to buy lumber that is pre-cut?  I wouldn't even know where to begin in turning raw logs into something (other than firewood that is...).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pedrito

This option would leave a lot of good timber to rot in the fields...

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Grey Fox

First thing first : Find a lumber mill and have the wood cut in useable pieces.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Pedrito on April 26, 2010, 10:59:26 AM
This option would leave a lot of good timber to rot in the fields...

L.

Time to install a wood stove.  :Canuck:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on April 26, 2010, 10:52:52 AM
My father's been forced to cut down ten cherry trees, so now we're left with a nice quantity of good logs and noone has the faintest idea of what to do with it.
I'm toying with the idea of consuming what's left of my free time and start a carpentry project - of which I have zero previous experience, so it's extremely probable this will end in a lot of swearing, the asportation of at least a couple phalanges, and a spectacular failure.

Everything will be documented, for the amusement of other Languishites.

What to do, what to do?

L.
cherry tree does not make really good furnitures...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2010, 10:57:05 AM
If you're going to try your hand at carpentry, wouldn't it be easier to buy lumber that is pre-cut?  I wouldn't even know where to begin in turning raw logs into something (other than firewood that is...).
you need to find a small lumber mill that will turn your raw logs into something other than firewood :)
Big mills won't do it for a few logs, but smallish ones will gladly take your business.

You need as right a log as you can get (hence why cherry trees aren't that good to start with), and the longer the better.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on April 26, 2010, 12:17:47 PM
cherry tree does not make really good furnitures...

Why would you say that? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Build a tree house so big it will be an affront to God himself.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Do you actually know anything about carpentry?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2010, 01:26:23 PM

Jesus walks with us.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pedrito

Quote from: viper37 on April 26, 2010, 12:20:34 PM
you need to find a small lumber mill that will turn your raw logs into something other than firewood :)
Big mills won't do it for a few logs, but smallish ones will gladly take your business.

You need as right a log as you can get (hence why cherry trees aren't that good to start with), and the longer the better.
These were trees grown to become furniture lumber, not fruit trees; we cut them down before the town council would, because they need the land to make a cycle path  :rolleyes: ,
so the logs should be straight enough, if not big enough (we've been forced to cut them 8 years before the right time to make them marketable); about long, I don't know if the logs are long enough, I'd say the trees are cut in logs about 1,5 meters long.

Do I need to season the logs, or is it better to saw them in planks and then season the planks?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Pedrito

Quote from: Razgovory on April 26, 2010, 01:26:23 PM

I've bought a book about it :smarty:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

sbr

Probably season the cut lumber; commercial sawmills seem to cut the logs as soon as they can.

Malthus

My father has actually done this - made cherry logs into boards (sent to a small sawmill), which he then used to make bookcases in the cottage.

The problem with seasoning is complex - the choice (air-dry or kiln-dry; season in the round or after sawing) depends on lots of factors. Air-drying whole logs is a very slow process.

I seem to recall that my dad seasoned logs in the round for many years before he got around to sawing them up - he painted a sort of wax over the cut ends to stop them drying too fast. Dunno if this is the preferred method or it just happened that way, though.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius