News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pedrito: the carpenter?

Started by Pedrito, April 26, 2010, 10:52:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What to do with a lot of cherry tree wood?

A tree house for the boys: G.R.O.S.S.!
8 (47.1%)
A ground cabin, no fear of heights
1 (5.9%)
an awful lot of CD/DVD racks
5 (29.4%)
Cut away some fingers: opposable thumbs FTL
3 (17.6%)
Other, please suggest
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

You can make stuff out of logs, no need for saw mills or anything.
My cabin when I was a kid was made out of logs. Its just more rounded wood.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Looks like a year or two of seasoning is needed first.

After that, how about making a set of half-sized furniture for your children to play with? The little girl would be just the right age to host teddy bear tea-parties using the furniture once you got the work finished  :cool:

Pedrito

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 27, 2010, 07:06:41 AM
Looks like a year or two of seasoning is needed first.

After that, how about making a set of half-sized furniture for your children to play with? The little girl would be just the right age to host teddy bear tea-parties using the furniture once you got the work finished  :cool:
I have yet to assess how much wood I can dispose of, maybe it's enough to complete at least a couple of the polled projects.
Building real furniture, albeit small, should be considered a side project: I'm afraid it would be way more difficult than building a tree house - making errors building toy furniture, on the other hand, would be more forgiving than a tree house: no broken arms falling from the tree because I forgot to build the floor, for example  :P

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Admiral Yi

Are tree houses common in Europe?  For some reason I think of them as particular to the US.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2010, 12:45:30 PM
Why would you say that? :unsure:
Like most fruit trees: because it's usually twisted and short.  Because it does not tends to stay straight when cut, even when it's perfectly dryed.

Maple trees, as an example, tend to be tall and straight trees.  Once dried, they can be of use.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on April 26, 2010, 04:08:11 PM
Do I need to season the logs, or is it better to saw them in planks and then season the planks?

L.
better to season the logs until fall at the very least (one year is better), especially if you cut them in spring. Then have them cut, and stay at least another year in a dry environment (you need little pieces of wood under each rank of planks to let the air flow).  Alternatively, they can be put in a dryer, but it's gonna cost you to find a place where they can do that.

Also, better to tie your bundel of planks with metal straps.  Expect some loss.  It's hard to get the planks in a really controlled environment, so, some of them will twist.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2010, 07:30:54 AM
Are tree houses common in Europe?  For some reason I think of them as particular to the US.
North America, mostly, I imagine.

In Europe, they needed to cut their forrests so they could better kill each another.

grumbler

I'm with those who think you have firewood here and nothing more.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

I don't know what your definition of common is but they are certainly around in Sweden.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2010, 12:01:55 PM
I'm with those who think you have firewood here and nothing more.

Did you do any contract work with Joseph back in the day?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Valdemar

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2010, 11:57:51 AM
North America, mostly, I imagine.

In Europe, they needed to cut their forrests so they could better kill each another.

Certainly fairly common here, you don't need a wood for a tree house, just a large tree :D

V

Pedrito

Quote from: viper37 on April 27, 2010, 11:55:10 AM
better to season the logs until fall at the very least (one year is better), especially if you cut them in spring. Then have them cut, and stay at least another year in a dry environment (you need little pieces of wood under each rank of planks to let the air flow).  Alternatively, they can be put in a dryer, but it's gonna cost you to find a place where they can do that.

Also, better to tie your bundel of planks with metal straps.  Expect some loss.  It's hard to get the planks in a really controlled environment, so, some of them will twist.

:hmm: This long seasoning delays my devious plans quite a bit.
I know a guy who does woodworking for a living, I'd better ask him if he knows of some community-owned kiln to accelerate the drying phase
:hmm:  :hmm:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Ed Anger

Or, have a good old fashioned American style BBQ and use the wood that way. I think you have to mix cherry wood with others so the cherry wood smoke flavor doesn't overwhelm the meat.

:alberta:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive