Stephen Hawking; Aliens Likely to be Hostile.

Started by jimmy olsen, April 25, 2010, 09:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2010, 12:43:25 PM
Quote from: Fate on April 26, 2010, 12:08:43 PM
Yes really. The process of diffusion is universal. Insects on Earth live with the same surface area to volume restrictions as insects on Vega 4.
It's easy to change the oxygen concentration in the atmosphere or in the sea.  However, past a certain size, active respiration is required.

Yeah, which answers Grey Fox's question--the theory is that the oxygen concentration at the time they lived was higher, which allowed then to attain a greater body size.

QuoteI think the point here is that you're not thinking hard enough.  Try being less stupid, and your problems will become much more manageable.

If he was less stupid, he might have noticed that Tim's post he was responding to didn't mention size in the first place.

garbon

Quote from: Martim Silva on April 26, 2010, 10:10:16 AM
They could be beings we can barely percieve (different molecular structures and densities, for example) and we could be sharing a planet with them without even knowing.

We'll only know when it happens.

And how do you propose that we would suddenly *know* this? :yeahright:

What is it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2010, 01:01:36 PM
What ever happened to that game? You know the one were you were supposed to build alien life from scratch and evolve; and was the most hyped game in Christendom?

It was no Sim Earth. Why it wasn't even Sim Farm.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Movies and internet tells us that aliens are evil. If/when we find them, we must attack first, they will do the same if they find us first.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Siege

So, are you guys saying that sentient insects like in Starship troopers are not possible?

What about biotechnology, like organic lasers and shit?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2010, 03:35:59 PM
So, are you guys saying that sentient insects like in Starship troopers are not possible?

What about biotechnology, like organic lasers and shit?

I know for a fact that an organic battering ram is possible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on April 26, 2010, 03:10:13 PM
What ever happened to that game? You know the one were you were supposed to build alien life from scratch and evolve; and was the most hyped game in Christendom?

No, no...Spore,  I remember now. What ever happened to that?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 26, 2010, 03:54:42 PM

It was kind of meh in the end.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Quote from: Barrister on April 26, 2010, 03:57:34 PM

It was kind of meh in the end.

That's what she said.

Habbaku

Giant letdown, from what I recall.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jaron

What if a giant race of turtle-men invaded the Earth?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on April 26, 2010, 04:48:05 PM
What if a giant race of turtle-men invaded the Earth?

The giaant ants of Brest-Litovsk would save us!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 26, 2010, 03:35:59 PM
Something insect-like that is large would have to have a very different structure, much closer to that of other large animals.  Also, the relatively thin legs wouldn't be able to support a body that, because it is covered in armour, would be very heavy.  Virtually every system would have to be much more complex.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Sim Earth.  Now there's a game I'd love to see updated.  There aren't many programs I can run to simulate a prehistoric Earth.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.