Main Menu

Foreign Office Officials Mock the Pope

Started by Palisadoes, April 25, 2010, 08:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palisadoes

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on April 25, 2010, 11:44:31 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 25, 2010, 06:37:32 PM
Maybe English can apologize for all the priests they executed.

The problem with that is that those passing the memos would have to be aware of such an event.  All they know is what's on the news.
Since the UK has apologized, there seems little reason for English to do so as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

I read that the Church in Glasgow actually wants Susan Boyle to perform for the Pope.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Silliness aside, the memo is indicative of a serious problem of the Church as an institution.

Just today, I read in the paper that the Vatican was backing some kind of ethical investment fund. The first thought that popped into my mind was: Hasbro, Disney, Mattel,  . . .

When JPII was Pope, whatever one thought about the Church , it was something that demanded to be taken seriously, and that sometimes played a significant role in world events.

Now it cannot avoid being victimized by the most dangerous enemy of any large institution: sustained mass ridicule.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

What do people mean by gotcha journalism?  Because this just looks like journalism to me.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2010, 01:19:27 PM
What do people mean by gotcha journalism?  Because this just looks like journalism to me.

I haven't heard the term before, but I assume it means journalism that focuses on juvenile and harmless missteps like this, rather than on issues and important events.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2010, 01:24:52 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2010, 01:19:27 PM

I haven't heard the term before, but I assume it means journalism that focuses on juvenile and harmless missteps like this, rather than on issues and important events.

I'd say the Foreign Office passing memos like this around other major government institutions including the executive is a pretty fucking big deal.

Then again, perhaps we just have higher expectations of our diplomatic corps?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Sheilbh

I've only heard it from Palin.  I thought she meant aggressive questioning to get a 'gotcha' moment when the pol fucks up. 

It could mean over-the-top jingoism like the Sun 'GOTCHA!' headline.

Neither of those seem to be the case though.  Maybe you're right, in which case I don't think they're mutually exclusive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Fate

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 27, 2010, 02:54:24 PM
I've only heard it from Palin.  I thought she meant aggressive questioning to get a 'gotcha' moment when the pol fucks up. 

It could mean over-the-top jingoism like the Sun 'GOTCHA!' headline.

Neither of those seem to be the case though.  Maybe you're right, in which case I don't think they're mutually exclusive.
It's far easier to interpret it as "journalism I don't like."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

The Vatican should display its famous sense of humor and leak a memo making fun of the British.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

It's a bit strange that they did it. If you work in any large bureaucracy surely you learn that the number one rule is don't mock the pope.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.