Britons believe the hills are alive with haggis

Started by garbon, April 25, 2010, 04:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100423/od_nm/us_food_haggis_odd

QuoteOne in five people in Britain thinks that haggis, the traditional Scottish dish made from the lung, liver and heart of a sheep, is an animal that roams the Highlands, according to a survey on Friday.

Commissioned by the online takeaway food service Just-Eat.co.uk, the survey found that 18 percent of Britons believe that haggis is a hilltop-dwelling animal.

Another 15 percent said it is a Scottish musical instrument while 4 percent admitted to thinking it was a character from Harry Potter.

The survey questioned 1,623 people across Britain to see how well they were acquainted with traditional Scottish food.

Even 14 percent of the 781 Scottish people polled said they did not know what haggis was.

:scots:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

:Embarrass:

On behalf of my fellow Britons.

Although I feel some sympathy for those who suffered from the Hagrid/Haggis mix-up. :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

I wonder to what extent they screen out deliberately facetious answers?

I'd have stated it was a Highland creature, why trouble to give the correct but less amusing answer?

Pedrito

Haggis is a pirate barber in The Curse of Monkey Island.  :smarty:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Viking

Slippery bastards. Hard to catch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.