my new build scratch pad thread

Started by Caliga, April 23, 2010, 10:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Ok, I think I have my core components roughed out:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ATX Motherboard
Patriot Gaming Series 4 Gb (2 x 2 Gb) PC3 10666

Total cost so far is $532.97, all via NewEgg (there's a $20 combo deal on the CPU + mobo).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 02:09:11 PM
Ok, I think I have my core components roughed out:

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ATX Motherboard
Patriot Gaming Series 4 Gb (2 x 2 Gb) PC3 10666

Total cost so far is $532.97, all via NewEgg (there's a $20 combo deal on the CPU + mobo).
Now that's fast memory!  :worthy:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

As I'm going through this build and selecting/pricing components, I must say that I'm extremely disappointed with Tiger Direct.  Every single component I've found on NewEgg, and on TigerDirect they either do not have the part, or it's more expensive. :huh:

Over the past year I've bought about 50% of my stuff from TD (and most of the rest from NewEgg)... dunno what the hell has happened to TD all of the sudden, or maybe I'm just having extremely bad luck.

DGuller

When I was getting parts for my computer, TD just didn't measure up either.  After comparing a couple of components between them and NewEgg, I gave up on TD altogether, and was dumbfounded as to why it had such a good reputation.  NewEgg was just leaps and bounds more competitive.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2010, 04:56:07 PM
When I was getting parts for my computer, TD just didn't measure up either.  After comparing a couple of components between them and NewEgg, I gave up on TD altogether, and was dumbfounded as to why it had such a good reputation.  NewEgg was just leaps and bounds more competitive.
The one area where TD has NewEgg beaten is in shipping speed: I've actually had stuff delivered to me from TD the afternoon after I ordered it.  It may be related to where I'm located vs. TD/NewEgg warehouses though.  Typically I get stuff delivered to me pretty quickly as Louisville is one of the largest air freight hubs in the world (UPS uses it as their primary hub).

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 05:02:16 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2010, 04:56:07 PM
The one area where TD has NewEgg beaten is in shipping speed: I've actually had stuff delivered to me from TD the afternoon after I ordered it.  It may be related to where I'm located vs. TD/NewEgg warehouses though.  Typically I get stuff delivered to me pretty quickly as Louisville is one of the largest air freight hubs in the world (UPS uses it as their primary hub).
I get my shit delivered from NewEgg pretty quickly as well, but likewise that might be due to my location.  They have a warehouse in New Jersey (which means sales tax :bleeding:).

Caliga

Yeah.  They also have a warehouse in Memphis, TN and you'd think shit would get to me quickly from there, but it really doesn't.

Anyway, as for cases, I'm really liking Scip's case, or the Antec Nine Hundred.

Ed Anger

Ever try ZipZoomFly? They shipped pretty fast from Cali, but its been a few years since I ordered anything from them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 01, 2010, 06:02:25 PM
Ever try ZipZoomFly? They shipped pretty fast from Cali, but its been a few years since I ordered anything from them.
I got my case from them a coupla years ago.  It's always worthwhile comparing Newegg's prices with ZZF, especially for things that might go on sale.  I'd say Newegg's won 80% of the time, but when ZZF wins it is often a pretty big win (like a $175 case for $105).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

PRELIMINARY BUILD

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T Black Edition - CPU
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ATX Motherboard - MOTHERBOARD
Patriot Gaming Series 4 Gb (2 x 2 Gb) PC3 10666 - RAM
CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC -  POWER SUPPLY
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" - HDD
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner - OPTICAL
Zonet ZEW2546 IEEE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter Up to 300Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP, WPA/WPA2, 802.1x - NETWORK
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower - CASE
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for System Builders OEM - OS

I think I'm just going to stick with onboard sound.  This board has onboard video as well (ATI HD 4290) but I'll probably put my HD 5770 in it shortly after I finish the build.

I think I'm going to skip the SSD for now, mainly for price reasons.

The total cost of the above from NewEgg is $1,028.91 (plus shipping).

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2010, 06:09:30 PM
I got my case from them a coupla years ago.  It's always worthwhile comparing Newegg's prices with ZZF, especially for things that might go on sale.  I'd say Newegg's won 80% of the time, but when ZZF wins it is often a pretty big win (like a $175 case for $105).
THanks, dudes... I actually forgot about them.  :blush:

Back when ZZF was GoogleGear I used to buy from them quite often.

DGuller

I agree with your SSD decision, I don't think the drivers are ready for prime time yet.  They're very promising, though, so hopefully they'll get there soon.

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2010, 06:21:04 PM
I agree with your SSD decision, I don't think the drivers are ready for prime time yet.  They're very promising, though, so hopefully they'll get there soon.
Well, like I said, I wanted to keep the build to ~$1,000.  Because I opted for the 1090T, it would have added quite a bit to the price, and there was no way I was going to get a "full sized" SSD.  I think there are 1 Tb SSDs out there now, but they literally cost $1K+ on their own.

grumbler

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 06:25:20 PM
Well, like I said, I wanted to keep the build to ~$1,000.  Because I opted for the 1090T, it would have added quite a bit to the price, and there was no way I was going to get a "full sized" SSD.  I think there are 1 Tb SSDs out there now, but they literally cost $1K+ on their own.
Agree with the wait.  Some day, those small SSDs will get dirt cheap, and you (and I) can get one to run the OS.  Now is not that day.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on May 01, 2010, 06:25:20 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 01, 2010, 06:21:04 PM
It's not just the cost that's a problem.  You don't need to only have SSD, the best bang for you buck would be to just put Windows there.  Another problem is that they are also very hard to set up, and require considerable start-up education.  Been there myself, not keen on repeating the experience.