Thinking of buying a new Monitor.

Started by Cerr, April 28, 2010, 12:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2010, 02:46:46 PM
You are not making any sense.  If you mean that, for a diagonal measurement of 24" the 16x10 display will be a bit smaller in the horizontal measurement, this isn't the case.  A nominal 24" 16x10 monitor will generally actually measure 24.1", while a nominal 24" 16x9 monitor will generally actually measure 23.6."
In that case, never mind.  I was not aware of the differences between nominal and actual sizes, I was speaking strictly mathematically.

QuoteI don't know to which game you are referring.  I have older games with resolutions limited to under the HD standard, and they have to run in windows (or be distorted) on any HD monitor.  No game which I have or have seen that supports 1920 horizontal pixels does not support 1200 vertical pixels.  Maybe if you could name the game, the rest of us could understand the issue you think you are raising.  But in any case, there is no such thing as a "native resolution" for software, even if you built games in a  college club.  There are only supported resolutions.
You have to make even the most mundane of discussions personal, don't you?  What a winner you are.  But, to answer your question, I recall M2TW being a real bitch to set up for widescreen.  It had a widescreen mode, but it assumed only one of the widescreen aspect ratios (16:10, IIRC).

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2010, 03:09:53 PM
In that case, never mind.  I was not aware of the differences between nominal and actual sizes, I was speaking strictly mathematically.
Not sure why you even spoke, given this ignorance.

QuoteYou have to make even the most mundane of discussions personal, don't you? What a winner you are. 
Sorry if your feelings are so fragile that you see personal insults in simple statements of fact, but, while there is no "winner" here, clearly the loser is the guy who butts into a discussion mouthing all kinds of expert-sounding crap based on ignorance of the realities.

QuoteBut, to answer your question, I recall M2TW being a real bitch to set up for widescreen.  It had a widescreen mode, but it assumed only one of the widescreen aspect ratios (16:10, IIRC).
This would be an argument which would lead you to support, rather than oppose, my recommendation for 16:10 monitor size.  Yet, you immediately challenged my recommendation even though the sole fact at your command would lead the normal person to support my recommendation.  Do you think anyone might wonder why you would go against the facts you know just to (again) erroneously argue that I am wrong?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

I recently got one of these: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1.
Very satisfied with it. A bit overkill for watching movies, truth be told. But it's great if you want a lot of real state. Warning: dot pitch is REALLY small.

DGuller

QuoteNot sure why you even spoke, given this ignorance.
Sometimes you don't know what you don't know, and are mistaken about something.  It happens even to me sometimes.
QuoteSorry if your feelings are so fragile that you see personal insults in simple statements of fact
It's not that my feelings are fragile, it's just that I keep getting amazed that a man of around 50 years of age would continuously take delight in being so beligerent on the Internet.  I expect people so physically mature to have more dignity than that.  As for discussion, it's just not worth carrying on what turned into a flame war.  There was a much more civil way to carry on this discussion, and you know it.

Berkut

Quote from: Iormlund on April 30, 2010, 03:31:58 PM
I recently got one of these: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&sku=224-8284&redirect=1.
Very satisfied with it. A bit overkill for watching movies, truth be told. But it's great if you want a lot of real state. Warning: dot pitch is REALLY small.

Why not just use a 40" HDTV if you are going to spend that kind of money?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

:wub:  I R: jealous
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2010, 03:43:38 PM
QuoteNot sure why you even spoke, given this ignorance.
Sometimes you don't know what you don't know, and are mistaken about something.  It happens even to me sometimes.
QuoteSorry if your feelings are so fragile that you see personal insults in simple statements of fact
It's not that my feelings are fragile, it's just that I keep getting amazed that a man of around 50 years of age would continuously take delight in being so beligerent on the Internet.  I expect people so physically mature to have more dignity than that.  As for discussion, it's just not worth carrying on what turned into a flame war.  There was a much more civil way to carry on this discussion, and you know it.
I am just gonna leave this right here.  I only quote it to preserve it for my private enjoyment and potential future reference.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2010, 04:10:34 PM

Distance away from the monitor, I guess.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2010, 04:22:38 PM
I am just gonna leave this right here.  I only quote it to preserve it for my private enjoyment
Winner.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on April 30, 2010, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 30, 2010, 04:22:38 PM
I am just gonna leave this right here.  I only quote it to preserve it for my private enjoyment
Winner.
I am just gonna leave this also right here.  I only quote it to preserve it for my private enjoyment and potential future reference.

Bayraktar!

Iormlund

Quote from: Berkut on April 30, 2010, 04:10:34 PM

I wanted resolution rather than inches (plus there's nowhere I could put one of those). Also, I get very good prices on Dell stuff, since we buy a lot from them.