Who'd Have Thought It, Polish Legal System Dafter than the US's

Started by mongers, April 11, 2009, 10:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7994857.stm

QuotePoland 'can jail drunk cyclists'
By Adam Easton
BBC News, Warsaw

Poland's Constitutional Court upheld a ruling this week that drunken cyclists should be treated like drunken motorists and face prison if caught.

Two thousand Poles are currently in prison for riding a bicycle whilst under the influence of alcohol.

The ruling has sparked a lively debate about whether cyclists should face such strict punishment.

The Constitutional Court ruled that drunken cyclists should be tried as criminals just as drink drivers are.

'Absurd, draconian'

Under a law passed in 2000, anyone riding a bike under the influence of alcohol faces a fine or up to two years in prison, depending on the level of their intoxication.

Many courts here apply the stricter penalty and the average sentence is 11.5 months imprisonment.

Such a state of affairs has been criticised by both the prison service and some judges.

Jaroslaw Sielecki, a 37-year-old judge from western Poland, called it absurd and draconian, adding that it can drag whole families into poverty.

He argued that intoxicated cyclists should be treated like drunken pedestrians, who face a fine rather than jail, as both use their own muscles to achieve motion.

The Constitutional Court, however, ruled that cyclists use public roads and are considerably more dangerous because of the speed they can travel.

:lol:

In comparison the US legal system jailing 1,000 low level drug addicts seems positively cost effective. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DisturbedPervert

Not daft.  Anyone riding a bicycle drunk is a danger to other drivers and can cause a fatal accident.

jimmy olsen

If you ride a bicycle drunk on the street you can get arrested for it here as well.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Drunken bicyclist should be summarily executed. This comes from a resident of a college town who sees far too many of these types each Friday and Saturday (And Sunday-Thursday) nights.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

stjaba

I biked home drunk once. It was pretty awful, I lost balance several times and crashed into a couple bushes. Fortunately, I was a danger only to myself as I stayed on the sidewalk in a residential area.

Neil

Operating any vehicle drunk is dangerous.  It's the machine that makes them dangerous.  If they were just walking their bike while being drunk, that'd be OK.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

mongers, explain why this is stupid, please.

Most areas in Poland do not have special bicycle routes - bikers use normal streets and roads instead. A drunk cyclist can easily cause a serious traffic accident.

What the article fails to say is that the stricter average penalty for drunk cyclists is not a result of judges hating them particularly, but these guys being repeat offenders, which means the judges are required to impose a penalty closer to the upper range allowed by law. For example, there was a guy who had five consecutive sentences for riding while drunk - you would have thought that he got the message by now.

Martinus

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

DGuller

I agree with having all bicyclists executed.  Some of them make me really nervous when they zigzag in a residential area while I'm driving.

Iormlund

Heh. Cars made me far more nervous when I am riding bike than cyclists do when I'm driving. I actually never ride on any busy street (except on the sidewalks). A parked idiot opening a door is all you need to get killed.

As for the OP, I can't see how that's a bad idea.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Iormlund on April 11, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
Heh. Cars made me far more nervous when I am riding bike than cyclists do when I'm driving. I actually never ride on any busy street (except on the sidewalks). A parked idiot opening a door is all you need to get killed.

As for the OP, I can't see how that's a bad idea.

Well, I ride my bike everyday, lives only 3 km from my workplace and 12 km from the center of Copenhagen, so I ride my bike almost everywhere I go . Cars are the least of my problems in the trafic, they usually stay on the road where they are supose to be. Cyclist and pedestrians on the other hand are all over the place, without a care in the world. They make me nervous, not the cars...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.