Protest, Insurgency, and the Workings of White Privilege

Started by Faeelin, April 22, 2010, 08:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2010, 09:02:47 AM
QuoteImagine that a prominent mainstream black political commentator had long employed an overt bigot as Executive Director of his organization, and that this bigot regularly participated in black separatist conferences, and once assaulted a white person while calling them by a racial slur. When that prominent black commentator and his sister--who also works for the organization--defended the bigot as a good guy who was misunderstood and "going through a tough time in his life" would anyone accept their excuse-making? Would that commentator still have a place on a mainstream network? Because that's what happened in the real world, when Pat Buchanan employed as Executive Director of his group, America's Cause, a blatant racist who did all these things, or at least their white equivalents: attending white separatist conferences and attacking a black woman while calling her the n-word.

Heh, didn't the guy who wrote that article remember the controversy over Obama's bigoted (and Black) pastor?

Admittedly the guy never assaulted anyone, but his bigoted musings were, at least initially, shrugged off as understandable, given the context of the times.

I don't think they were shrugged off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2010, 10:35:59 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on April 22, 2010, 10:05:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 22, 2010, 08:55:20 AM
QuoteAnd this, my friends, is what white privilege is all about. The ability to threaten others, to engage in violent and incendiary rhetoric without consequence, to be viewed as patriotic and normal no matter what you do, and never to be feared and despised as people of color would be, if they tried to get away with half the shit we do, on a daily basis.

:lmfao:

Eh, I agree it's over the top, but I can't help but compare Der's comments about the protests over immigration reform (They had Mexican flags!) to a lot of the stuff the Teabaggers are doing, or the way a lot of the right snarked and criticized the gay community for its protests after Prop 8 but represents the tea party as Americans expressing their right to assemble.

I love that the article uses as its "typical" examples the worst possible extremist's, and assumes that this is representative of the entirety of the Evil Racist Right.

And then you come along, look at derspeiss making a single particular complaint about a very particular instance, and think "Hey, this is JUST what that guy was talking about!" Hell, the guy in question is bonkers, and your attempt to tie in derspeiss in is even MORE bonkers.

It is like you are intentionally setting out to show how completely dis-associated with actual arguments you can make a bunch of hyperbole illustrate.

I didn't see the word typical in there once.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2010, 11:21:41 AM

They certainly were initially. The notion advanced by the Obama camp (and by Obama himself) was that the reverend was from a different time, and that his statements have to be understood in the context of the times; otherwise he's a great guy, doing good work.

Only after some time (and further embarrasing statements) did Obama throw him under the bus.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2010, 12:03:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2010, 11:21:41 AM

They certainly were initially. The notion advanced by the Obama camp (and by Obama himself) was that the reverend was from a different time, and that his statements have to be understood in the context of the times; otherwise he's a great guy, doing good work.

Only after some time (and further embarrasing statements) did Obama throw him under the bus.

Wasn't shrugged off by Berkut and Hans who were quite smug about the whole thing.

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2010, 09:02:47 AM
QuoteImagine that a prominent mainstream black political commentator had long employed an overt bigot as Executive Director of his organization, and that this bigot regularly participated in black separatist conferences, and once assaulted a white person while calling them by a racial slur. When that prominent black commentator and his sister--who also works for the organization--defended the bigot as a good guy who was misunderstood and "going through a tough time in his life" would anyone accept their excuse-making? Would that commentator still have a place on a mainstream network? Because that's what happened in the real world, when Pat Buchanan employed as Executive Director of his group, America's Cause, a blatant racist who did all these things, or at least their white equivalents: attending white separatist conferences and attacking a black woman while calling her the n-word.

Heh, didn't the guy who wrote that article remember the controversy over Obama's bigoted (and Black) pastor?

Admittedly the guy never assaulted anyone, but his bigoted musings were, at least initially, shrugged off as understandable, given the context of the times.

According to the initial post, the article was first written in 1995.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2010, 11:25:19 AM
I love that the article uses as its "typical" examples the worst possible extremist's, and assumes that this is representative of the entirety of the Evil Racist Right.

And then you come along, look at derspeiss making a single particular complaint about a very particular instance, and think "Hey, this is JUST what that guy was talking about!" Hell, the guy in question is bonkers, and your attempt to tie in derspeiss in is even MORE bonkers.

It is like you are intentionally setting out to show how completely dis-associated with actual arguments you can make a bunch of hyperbole illustrate.

It's his ninth word.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on April 22, 2010, 12:13:35 PM

I didn't catch that. Still, it kinda undermines the point of posting it now.

Edit: wait a second, the article specifically refers to "President Obama", so that excuse won't wash.

QuoteImagine that a rap artist were to say, in reference to a white president: "He's a piece of shit and I told him to suck on my machine gun." Because that's what rocker Ted Nugent said recently about President Obama.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on April 22, 2010, 12:13:35 PM

I believe he's citing a source from 1995 in the paragraph about Rush Limbaugh; hence the "*" at the end of that paragraph and at the bottom.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2010, 12:18:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 22, 2010, 11:25:19 AM

It's his ninth word.

I thought it was of.

JonasSalk

Yuman

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on April 22, 2010, 11:05:05 AM
You missed my point in the other thread, but I have to admit I'm similarly confused by what you're trying to put forth here.

Are you saying my comments remind you of the tea party protests?  Or are you saying I'm giving the tea partiers a pass for doing the same stuff illegal immigrants did in their protests?

The latter, actually. But I suppose in general I think the protests of tea parties have been covered much more symapthetically than other protests in the last few years.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on April 22, 2010, 01:19:05 PM
The latter, actually. But I suppose in general I think the protests of tea parties have been covered much more symapthetically than other protests in the last few years.

So in your opinion I should show as much scorn for US citizens protesting their government as I should for people who are here illegally demanding things they are not entitled to?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory