Copy Machines Digitally Store 1000s of Documents That Get Passed on at Resale

Started by jimmy olsen, April 22, 2010, 02:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 22, 2010, 06:48:46 AM
Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2010, 06:37:33 AM
Quote from: Zanza on April 22, 2010, 03:29:03 AM
That's not a security hole, but users being ignorant or careless. Totally different and not really fixable.
:huh:  How do the users even know about, let alone erase, the scan copy that was in the machine?  This is a massive security hole that shouldn't exist, because the default copier mode should be to delete the stored image after it has been processed.

We simply redirect the image to the file server and don't use the drive on the machine at all.
Yeah, no shit.  how the hell would your average secretary know that the copier machine is storing images?  More to the point, how would they know how to get rid of the images if they did?

Why the hell would your average secretary be in charge of disposing of the equipment? Surely someone in IT would handle that?

I just pull the disk and run DS on it before disposal.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2010, 01:33:59 PM
Why the hell would your average secretary be in charge of disposing of the equipment? Surely someone in IT would handle that?
Why the hell would your average office or business have a "someone in IT?"  Surely most copiers are bought by business office types in businesses that don't have an "in IT" for someone to be?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I need to check the copiers for asses and taint stored in memory.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: grumbler on April 22, 2010, 02:05:34 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 22, 2010, 01:33:59 PM
Why the hell would your average office or business have a "someone in IT?"  Surely most copiers are bought by business office types in businesses that don't have an "in IT" for someone to be?

Then they deserve to let their data go out of custody and risk losing it.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Darth Wagtaros

Why would IT be in charge of a copier machine in teh first place?
PDH!

The Brain

Why would the CSA dino cavalry still not be able to win the war against Great Yugoslavia?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Brain on April 22, 2010, 03:57:01 PM
Why would the CSA dino cavalry still not be able to win the war against Great Yugoslavia?
Sharks, with frickin laser beams.

merithyn

Yeah, no shit.  how the hell would your average secretary know that the copier machine is storing images?  More to the point, how would they know how to get rid of the images if they did?

I knew. :smarty:

But then, I only knew by deduction. The copy guy could come in and check the machine to see who the last person to use it was by what was copied. The only way that could happen is with a hard drive on the machine. It never occurred to me that the hard drive should be wiped before being sold, though. I guess - like an idiot - I assumed it wiped when it was unplugged.

Our copiers are rented, so I suppose the school district assumes they will wipe the drives.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Palisadoes on April 22, 2010, 07:03:24 AM
There's loads of these technological security holes about. There was a recent study into disposed hard-drives from companies, of which they found a large proportion hadn't formatted/wiped the hard-drives, meaning a lot of information (some of it sensitive) was left on there.

That's why, when I dispose of an old CPU, I remove the hard drives and use a fucking hammer, and drop the pieces in various smokestacks on the roofs of Little Italy.

Darth Wagtaros

:showoff:
Quote from: merithyn on April 22, 2010, 06:47:52 PM

I knew. :smarty:

But then, I only knew by deduction. The copy guy could come in and check the machine to see who the last person to use it was by what was copied. The only way that could happen is with a hard drive on the machine. It never occurred to me that the hard drive should be wiped before being sold, though. I guess - like an idiot - I assumed it wiped when it was unplugged.

Our copiers are rented, so I suppose the school district assumes they will wipe the drives.
PDH!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 22, 2010, 03:49:56 PM

In our case because they also act as network printers. You sent your print jobs to a central "mailbox" which you can access from all our "big" photocopiers. Also, you can scan/email documents directly with them. They're fully integrated into our IT network.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Ah yes. I forgot that other places have real infrastructure.
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2010, 08:03:05 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 22, 2010, 03:49:56 PM

In our case because they also act as network printers. You sent your print jobs to a central "mailbox" which you can access from all our "big" photocopiers. Also, you can scan/email documents directly with them. They're fully integrated into our IT network.
PDH!

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on April 22, 2010, 06:47:52 PM

Sounds like a solid plan to protect confidential data.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014