Pet Shop Boys spurn rescue shelter remix; PETA asks them to change name

Started by katmai, April 10, 2009, 09:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Good old PETA, placing time and effort where it really counts!

thu Apr 9, 12:08 pm ET

LONDON (AFP) – Electro-pop pioneers Pet Shop Boys turned down a request from animal rights group PETA Europe to adopt a more creature-friendly name, the band revealed on their website Thursday.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals suggested Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe rename themselves Rescue Shelter Boys to draw attention to the plight of animals raised in pet shops.

"Dear Neil and Chris, You have many loyal fans of the Pet Shop Boys here at PETA. Will you please consider changing your name from the Pet Shop Boys to the Rescue Shelter Boys?" pleaded a letter to the group from Yvonne Taylor, PETA's special projects manager.

"Most dogs and cats sold in pet shops are sourced from profit-hungry breeders who may have bred them in cramped, filthy conditions.

"For every bird who reaches a pet shop, three others have died during capture, confinement and transportation.

"Hamsters, mice and other rodents are often bred by the pet shops themselves, leading to inbreeding, genetic weaknesses, physical deformities and behavioral disorders.

"By agreeing to change your name to the Rescue Shelter Boys, you would help raise awareness about the cruelty involved in the pet trade and encourage your millions of fans to consider giving a home to an abandoned or unwanted animal from an animal shelter. So, what do you say?"

The pair, whose hits include "West End Girls", It's a Sin" and "Suburbia" declined the request, claiming they were "unable to agree," but said it "raises an issue worth thinking about."
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Quote from: katmai on April 10, 2009, 09:41:17 PM
The pair, whose hits include "West End Girls", It's a Sin" and "Suburbia" declined the request, claiming they were "unable to agree," but said it "raises an issue worth thinking about."

It certainly does. How soon can the camps go online?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Good old PETA, placing time and effort where it really counts!

Considering all it took to get a round of news stories was somebody writing a letter they can hardly be blamed for that.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Neil

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2009, 09:46:52 PM

It certainly does. How soon can the camps go online?
You Euros are PETA allies.  You should be ashamed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

[/quote]

:D  Very diplomatic.  I love the Pet Shop Boys though, easily one of the best dance/pop bands of the era for my money.

And for Marty, the Derek Jarman-directed music video for "It's A Sin": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHetRTOD1Q
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

Enough is enough. PETA is now on my hit list. :P

@Mihali: Of course I know that. It's one of my three favourite videos they made (others are Always on My Mind and Go West) :cool:

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

Quote"Most dogs and cats sold in pet shops are sourced from profit-hungry breeders who may have bred them in cramped, filthy conditions.
I appreciate this rhetoric but isn't it a bit idealistic to assume only heterosexuals are cruel to animals?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2009, 02:55:26 AM

@Mihali: Of course I know that. It's one of my three favourite videos they made (others are Always on My Mind and Go West) :cool:

Well, I assumed you knew the song, but I didn't know that Derek Jarman directed the video til recently.  I think I would have to nominate "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" and "West End Girls" as my personal favorite video/song pairings. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2009, 02:55:26 AM
PETA is full of gays too.  How can you favour a small group of gays over a large one?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 11, 2009, 01:30:18 AM
:D  Very diplomatic.  I love the Pet Shop Boys though, easily one of the best dance/pop bands of the era for my money.
Absolutely.  Let's Make Lot's of Money is just a terrific song, and even their romantic songs are a bit cynical and ironic, like Love Comes Quickly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Speaking of the gay, I noticed there is a gay channel on my cable lineup (LOGO). They can put that shit there, but Time Warner can't give me RFD-TV. Fuckers.

Anyways, I blocked the gay channel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2009, 09:11:25 AM
Speaking of the gay, I noticed there is a gay channel on my cable lineup (LOGO). They can put that shit there, but Time Warner can't give me RFD-TV. Fuckers.

You're gonna miss RuPaul's Drag Race  :(

DisturbedPervert

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals suggested Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe rename themselves Rescue Shelter Boys to draw attention to the plight of animals raised in pet shops.

I'd suggest Slaughter House Boys or Factory Farm Boys.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 11, 2009, 09:55:33 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 11, 2009, 09:11:25 AM

You're gonna miss RuPaul's Drag Race  :(

I'm not interested in auto sports driven by fruits.

Yes, I'm aware of what the show is about.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive