News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Malthus Night Out

Started by Malthus, April 21, 2010, 09:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2010, 05:08:43 PM
I am always a bit puzzled by Canadians' fondness for bands.  HKers love loud music too, but it is really difficult to get popular as a band here.  Most popular musicians are lone or duo singers who don't play musical instruments when they perform.  They have bands when they perform, but those bands are usually nameless guys that nobody pay any attention to.

It's a rock thing. Read : Beatles & Rolling Stones. Is Rock big in asia?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Admit it Malthus. You slept with the drummer didn't you?  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on April 21, 2010, 09:35:24 AM
if they did play too loud (all of us thought we were going deaf).
you know it's a sure sign you're getting old?  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2010, 07:01:12 PM
I am always a bit puzzled by Canadians' fondness for bands.  HKers love loud music too, but it is really difficult to get popular as a band here.  Most popular musicians are lone or duo singers who don't play musical instruments when they perform.  They have bands when they perform, but those bands are usually nameless guys that nobody pay any attention to.

No, not really.  Some people like them, but they are a minority.  I sure as hell don't.

Pedrito

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 21, 2010, 12:19:39 PM
The singer also did a great turn in that "Everything is Illuminated" movie, starring Frodo. cool story Malthus.

Yeah, but the lack of his peculiar moustache was a bit of a let off for me  :glare:  And some of the soundtrack of the movie is by Gogol Bordello, too.

Nice story Mal, btw: I'd love to go to a GB show  :)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 21, 2010, 08:57:26 PM

Not really. Some of us thought concerts were too loud when we were 20.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

I'm officially jealous, man.  :lol: I first learned about this band some years ago in Hungary through their song Wonderlust King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyQ4ShVw-Y), and have been following them for a while. I'll probably see them live for the first time this summer in a festival in Portugal, and their "Super Taranta!" record is most probably on my Cd player back at home.

Can your friend get band freebies?  :P

Oh, and btw, this is the wiki page of the violin player in the band.  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Ryabtsev

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2010, 05:17:56 AM

Not really. Some of us thought concerts were too loud when we were 20.
Sometimes its good to cover your ears/wear ear plugs then it gets all muted down and you can hear the individual parts nice and clear.
Not what I'd do for a punk band though.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on April 21, 2010, 08:58:12 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2010, 07:01:12 PM

No, not really.  Some people like them, but they are a minority.  I sure as hell don't.

One of the members of the band Malthus saw is from HK.  :P

Malthus

Oh, probably.  :lol:

Really, I suspect anyone exposed to that level of sound would notice the effect.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2010, 07:49:06 AM

Oh, probably.  :lol:

Really, I suspect anyone exposed to that level of sound would notice the effect.

Indeed, most professional musicians use ear plugs when playing live, due to the almost contant exposure to high volumes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-induced_hearing_loss#Hearing_loss_for_musicians

The Larch

Malthus, btw, you should listen to a side project of the band, called J.U.F. (standing for Jewish Ukranian Friendship or something like that).  :)

Malthus

Quote from: Pedrito on April 22, 2010, 02:58:49 AM
Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 21, 2010, 12:19:39 PM
The singer also did a great turn in that "Everything is Illuminated" movie, starring Frodo. cool story Malthus.

Yeah, but the lack of his peculiar moustache was a bit of a let off for me  :glare:  And some of the soundtrack of the movie is by Gogol Bordello, too.

Nice story Mal, btw: I'd love to go to a GB show  :)

L.

They do have an awesome live show. I highly recommend it if you get the chance.

Looking at the youtube clips, along with the usual inane and irrelevant bullshit that is generally always posted in youtube comments you see the same over and over again - this is a band that is not done justice by the recorded version. Though I have yet to hear a CD, I'd tend to agree - certain types of music are best live.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on April 22, 2010, 07:29:18 AM
I'm officially jealous, man.  :lol: I first learned about this band some years ago in Hungary through their song Wonderlust King (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elyQ4ShVw-Y), and have been following them for a while. I'll probably see them live for the first time this summer in a festival in Portugal, and their "Super Taranta!" record is most probably on my Cd player back at home.

Can your friend get band freebies?  :P

Oh, and btw, this is the wiki page of the violin player in the band.  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Ryabtsev

Heh, she gets freebies all the time - usually stuff designed to shock her a bit (I think Eugine kinda gets off on doing that to her, to be frank). Last time he was in Toronto, he gave her a dress with the band's name on in and a picture that, when looked at closely, displays a pic of a deer having oral sex with a hunter - if you knew this woman, you'd know why this was funny (she's extremely MILF-y, but very proper - big in Ukranian-Canadian cultural circles, "arty" but there is no way in hell she'd actually wear a dress like that in public).

If you get a chance, do see them live; lots of fun.