News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Beyond Petroleum

Started by alfred russel, April 30, 2010, 11:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

How many of these ads are we going to be subjected to in the next couple of years?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

They've had that slogan for several years now.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2010, 11:49:06 AM

Can you think of any reason that they may be about to increase their ad buys?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on April 30, 2010, 12:00:17 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 30, 2010, 11:49:06 AM

Can you think of any reason that they may be about to increase their ad buys?

Some ecoterrorists in the Gulf of Mexico spring to mind.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

It's a good thing that they are working on other energy sources.  But I think they are taking things too far.  It is one thing to work on alternatives, but to go overboard and start pouring their oil into the ocean is a bit much.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Thunderdome >>> Petroleum
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

From the couple I've seen I get a  'don't stop consuming, miracles just around the corner' vibe from them

Maximus

I haven't seen the ads referred to, but I've heard about BP investing heavily in wind energy on the prairies for years. They may be approaching a threshold of cost and production where they want to really push it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maximus on April 30, 2010, 01:36:18 PM
I haven't seen the ads referred to, but I've heard about BP investing heavily in wind energy on the prairies for years. They may be approaching a threshold of cost and production where they want to really push it.
Or they may be cashing in subsidies.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 30, 2010, 01:40:47 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 30, 2010, 01:36:18 PM
Or they may be cashing in subsidies.
Oil is what's subsidized until they price in the cost of the American military presence in the Middle East and the damage done to the world by climate change.